Used to be you could count of the radio to hip you to new music (those of you rockin' in the 60's and 70;s know what I mean). Then radio station started being run by bean counters and music guys started selling shoes.

Luckily, MTV came along in the early 80's, and for a few years you could discover new stuff there. Then the bean counters discovered that they could sell more advertising NOT broadcasting music. (I blame that damn Julie Gentry).

Now, it seems like the internet bulletinboard is the new place. I have been hipped to The Drive by Truckers, Ray Lamontagne, My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses...and now The Hold Steady. My getting hipped THS was the direct result of http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=36652. nReading this post led me to youtube and wikipedia...

While certainly worthwhile, it's getting a little too fucking hard to find stuff.

I do remember when FM was a cool place to go - especially late at night. MTV never really impressed me too much, but shows like the great New Wave Theatre was a godsend in the early '80s.

Thanks to this place I have been turned on to many fine bands - most notably Califone, and Tortoise. Thanks folks. :thumbup

VC has turned me on to some things, as has XM.

Used to be you could count of the radio to hip you to new music (those of you rockin' in the 60's and 70;s know what I mean). Then radio station started being run by bean counters and music guys started selling shoes.

Try to find a college radio station. Usually (unless it's NPR affiliated) they'll have good "indie"/"alternative" music. I'm the program director for my college's radio station and we play THS, MMJ, Wilco, Spoon, Ray Lamontagne, etc.