Charlotte Area Live Music

Anybody know of any good shows coming up in the Charlotte area? I'm visiting family and would love to see some music while I'm here but I know nothing! Anybody got the scoop? Also, I won't be 21 for another 2 1/2 weeks so that could be a problem.

Anybody know of any good shows coming up in the Charlotte area? I'm visiting family and would love to see some music while I'm here but I know nothing! Anybody got the scoop? Also, I won't be 21 for another 2 1/2 weeks so that could be a problem.

Queen City Music

Note: The Americana & The Milestone are closed, I believe.

I had just manually listed links to the event calenders for every major venue in town, then accidentally closed the window before I posted it (doh). Luckily, this site has most of the links towards the bottom. You just missed The Whigs @ The Visulite (8/16). The Double Door Inn has been open for 35 years. Neighborhood Theater is in trendy NoDa and is the other likely indie destination. Evening Muse is a small, local-only indie place (too small to land name bands). Also: Amos' South End & Tremont Music Hall, though these two are more likely to have mainstream bands (that I cant stand). Good venues though. Puckett's Farm Equipment is a tiny little place that is pure bluegrass, all the time. Then you have the cliche big outdoor venue. From time to time, there are shows at: Ovens Auditorium, Bobcats arena, and the occasional show at the Grady Cole center (essentially a HS gym on CPCC's campus), though nothing on the immediate horizon.

Another decent listing of smaller shows: Maxx Music

The Black Crowes are playing the Neighborhood Theater sometime soon, and M83 is playing the Visulite in mid November, but otherwise, there's not much going on. Edit - I missed a Drive By Truckers show 9/18 at Amos'. That should be rockin'.

Charlotte is finally getting some decent venues in line with what Atlanta has, but the city's airwaves are still 100% Clearchannel controlled, so NO indie bands, and frankly, few "alternative" bands will play here. Coldplay's first show here a fewe years ago was in the aforementioned Grady Cole Center (about 2k in an old, sweaty gym with terrible acoustics due to metal walls/dividers in the stands), and they were playing stadiums elsewhere.

In Charlotte you are pretty much limited to either very local music, or whatever crap is currently hot on MTV. It's kinda depressing to me. I have to drive to Asheville, Chapel Hill, or Atlanta for real music.

I did catch Stars @ the Neighborhood Theater a few months ago and it was a great show - packed house too. I think they rocked a little harder than this sleepy, boring banking mecca expected.

Not sure when you'll be here, but Lucinda Williams will be at the Belk Theater in late September. Lyle Lovett/John Hiatt will be here Oct 9.