I never thought that I was a fan, until I took a trip through Nashville with my family back when I was in college. We hit the Opry and Ricky was on the ticket with Kentucky Thunder and he hit the stage with a vengeance. Started with an acoustic set and put on the most virtuosic display of flatpicking that I've ever seen.

He followed that up by tearing it up with mandolin and banjo.

And then he came back later for an electric set, when he showed that he could give James Burton more than just a run for his money.

Good stuff.

Ricky Skaggs is a pretty amazing musician. He's collaboreted with a lot of the greats, even Bill Monroe when he was a very young kid. I've seen him several times and he's always a pleasure to hear. His album with Bruce Hornsby from a few years ago is worth a listen, too.

I've seen him live on various TV shows, and the guy never fails to amaze me with his incredible musicianship.

The Kentucky Thunder is one the truly great bluegrass bands. I have a vid where they set in with SCI and it is just killer!

That kid on the guitar is simply unreal. What an amazing flatpicker he is.