Miles Davis Kind of Blue 50th Anniversary Collector

Specifically was referring to Workin', Relaxin', Steamin', and Cookin'

My bad, I should have been clearer: I meant Coltrane's classic quartet, whose work I actually prefer to Kind of Blue (although Kind of Blue is classic & timeless too...).

Does this mean I will give up listening part of the way through?

Maybe. Push on through.

As far as arguing which record is better; what happened to it's all good. None of these records were made with the intention of being the best ever. They were just one more session, some of which worked out better than others needless to say. There is no question that Kind of Blue is iconic and contains timeless jams though. But Coltrane's various records with the classic quartet are also timeless, both in their recordings on Atlantic and on Impulse.

LouieB

Both Coltrane and Davis are great with their respective instruments. At the end of the day, it really is hard to compare the two. 

Has anyone listened to Coltrane's 1966 recordings from Japan? I've been on an experimental kick as of late and thought about buying this on Amazon.

Both Coltrane and Davis are great with their respective instruments. At the end of the day, it really is hard to compare the two. 

Has anyone listened to Coltrane's 1966 recordings from Japan? I've been on an experimental kick as of late and thought about buying this on Amazon.

Did you end up getting it? --- I listened to the set again after you posted --- Leo is the stand out track for me. I started to listen to the set while at work (no one was around) and finished it at home, while the kids and I were picking up the around the house. Its a great set for back ground music or sit around with head phones. I definitely miss Tyner - Alice Coltrane is okay, but she doesn't add too, too much to the music. Ali is great though and I always enjoy listening to Sanders.

Did you end up getting it? --- I listened to the set again after you posted --- Leo is the stand out track for me. I started to listen to the set while at work (no one was around) and finished it at home, while the kids and I were picking up the around the house. Its a great set for back ground music or sit around with head phones. I definitely miss Tyner - Alice Coltrane is okay, but she doesn't add too, too much to the music. Ali is great though and I always enjoy listening to Sanders.

Also, if you have guests over and it's getting late, and they're not getting the hint that they really should be going, playing this album can be a great way to clear out a room.

Not yet. Think I will order it in the morning. It sounds like it will make for a great listen. I did pick up Miles Davis' Filles de Kilimanjaro and Coltrane's complete Stardust sessions at the used bookstore. After listening to nothing but Coltrane's later period Impulse albums for a while, it's easy to forget that he used to sound like a traditional saxophone player. 

Speaking of Tyner, there's a clip of My Favorite Things on YouTube where he is just attacking the piano. He really was a lively player much like Keith Jarett. I think I read somewhere that he disagreed with the direction Coltrane took in his music which caused him to leave. It's a pity as I think Sun Ship, First Meditations and Transistion are wonderful albums.

That's another one I've been meaning to get. There's a later live performance being released this summer. Live at Temple University. Not quite sure who plays on it but that is on my list as well.

For those interested, Barnes and Noble is having a jazz special which ends tomorrow. All jazz titles are 40% off. If you're a member, you save an additional 10%. I purchased the complete Village Vanguard for around $25.00.

First time hearing about the Temple Release --- thanks. I wonder how much more is in the vault?

from Amazon.

Recorded November 11, 1966
Mitten Hall, Temple University
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Featured Artists:
John Coltrane soprano & tenor saxophones, flute & vocals
Pharoah Sanders tenor saxophone & piccolo
Alice Coltrane piano
Sonny Johnson bass
Rashied Ali drums