The new Stereolab album

I just heard a song from the new record on the radio last night ("Neon Beanbag") and it was freaking awesome. Had pretty much everything that I loved about them from the Mars Audiac Quintet era.

Is the rest of the album as good?

Should I bother picking it up? (Haven't grabbed anything from them since Dots and Loops disappointed me.)

I anticipate and appreciate your responses.

I just heard a song from the new record on the radio last night ("Neon Beanbag") and it was freaking awesome. Had pretty much everything that I loved about them from the Mars Audiac Quintet era.

Is the rest of the album as good?

Should I bother picking it up? (Haven't grabbed anything from them since Dots and Loops disappointed me.)

I anticipate and appreciate your responses.

Well now, this is a pretty big issue for me. I have absolutely loved the last two releases Fab Four Suture and Margerine Eclipse, as well much of the back catalog - Stereolab's close to the top on my list in general. So of course I greatly anticipated the release of Chemical Chords. I was disappointed with the first single release "Three Women" - I thought it was vanilla, and it really did nothing for me. "Neon Beanbag" has more pep and energy - it's a good album opener. As a whole after 10 listens through, I still have some disappointment, really. Very few tunes or even sequences or rhythms really stand out to me. The exception is "Pop Molecule", which I'm sure will become a concert jam staple. As a whole, I do not really like the brass and orchestration used on the album. That's one of the great things about Margerine Eclipse, for example, no side musicians and arrangments, just the groop playing its best. Also, I'm bummed that keyboardist Dominic Jeffrey is out, as I thought he was one of the best 'Lab musicians ever - there are are some suggestions on the Stereolab boards that he was forced out, maybe a money issue -I don't really know, but still I'd like to have him in the fold.

Good tunes that I like on Chemical Chords -- Neon Beanbag, One Finger Symphony, Pop Molecule, Nous Vous Demandons Pardon, Cellulose Sunshine, Vortical Phonotheque. Get the CD if you're brave or like the orchestration/brass thing - otherwise, download these.

Long live the 'Lab

Yes. Thanks wheelco for turning me on to this band. :thumbup I might not have ever got into the Lab if not for this place.

Yes. Thanks wheelco for turning me on to this band. :thumbup I might not have ever got into the Lab if not for this place.

I knew you'd be a prime candidate, plus you reciprocated with some fine vintage Floyd and Roxy Music I'd never heard

The new Stereolab album is a taste I have not yet totally acquired, except absolutely download the standout jam, Pop Molecule

To me it still comes down to the string of 90's CDs "Transient Randon Noisebursts With Announcements", "Mars Audiac Quintet" and "Emperor Tomato Ketchup", then you augment the collection with ABC/BBC, Margerine Eclipse and Fab Four Suture - maybe "Cobra and Phases Groop Played Voltage in the Milky Night"

Of course, i've got them all, every last one . . . :worship

So, what do you think? I'd go with some other of the newer albums or some various downloads personally . . .

Long live the 'Lab

From what you said, I'm thinking that Margarine Eclipse sounds more like the Stereolab that I like. That's more Mars Audiac-ish, no?

From what you said, I'm thinking that Margarine Eclipse sounds more like the Stereolab that I like. That's more Mars Audiac-ish, no?

I'd say so. It's got some rock, some kraut, some great songwriting but very few gimmicks, plus they don't fuss with the strings and horns -- I prefer when they just keep it to the groop.

Chemical Chords was actually the first Stereolab record i bought.

i read in an interview that this has a lot of Motown influence and it shows.

the title track reminds me of something Isaac Hayes/Shaft.

Well, it does somewhat, and it's certainly an undercurrent influence that's been there for awhile

I'm happy they did Chemical Chords - Tim, Laetitia and Andy seem happy, plus they say there are 20 more eclectic session tracks they're going to pare down for a next CD shortly - I'm more interested in that, really. I just have not connected with Chemical Chords itself like I did the last two releases and indeed much of the back catalog. But I love "Pop Molecule" ...