Rudy Ray Moore: 1927-2008

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur47952.cfm

DOLEMITE IS DEAD: We remember legendary funnyman Rudy Ray Moore.

(October 20, 2008)

EUR has learned that after an extended illness, seminal comedian Rudy Ray Moore, better known as Dolemite, has died in Akron, Ohio. He was 81.

EUR was initially informed of the news by comedienne Luenell, a friend of the family.

Moore, whose actual name was Rudolph Frank Moore, passed away from complications of diabetes, his only child and daughter, Yvette "Rusty" Wesson, told us.

According to Wikipedia, Moore is perhaps best known as Dolemite, the uniquely articulate pimp (

It was very sad news yesterday indeed. I am a huge Rudy Ray fan. Dolemite is my av on the 2 other boards that I annoy. The movies are hilariously campy but his stand up act was great. Dirty as could be. The rhyming probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but if you just listen to the words and the delivery, you'll be laughing.

He is underappreciated as an influence. But as the article said, that's what happens when you are too true to your art to crack the mainstream. If you want to check him out for the first time rent Dolemite, though Petey Wheatstraw, the Devil's Son-in-Law is often overlooked and just as funny. The Human Tornado (The Human Tornadee!) and the later films, to be honest, can be painful to watch, as though Ed Wood made a blaxploitation movie. Go to his website and listen to Shine and the Great Titanic and/or The Signifyin' Monkey. But only if down and dirty doesn't offend you.

My buds and I had many a fun night watching Rudy tapes and DVDs. I love turning students on to him and the movies. I only have maybe 1 to 2 kids every other year or so that I think would appreciate Rudy. So far, I've never been wrong. My wife suprised me a few years ago with several DVDs. She has become a fan.

Thanks Rudy for all of the laughs. I hope that you are 'relaxing' with Queen Bee's All Girl Kung Fu Army and free of that "no good Willie Green".

"Dolemite is my name and fuckin' up muthafuckas is my game!"

RIP Rudy Ray. Odd coincidence - I was talking to my friend on the phone Monday and at one point blurted out "DOLEMITE!" for no reason (we're weird).

That night he called me - "Did you say Dolemite because he died?" Me: "He died?"