Anyone ever bought a domain name? Server space for a website? more web dev questions

I am having my (small, just for "being there" [sic!] purposes) website hosted with 1&1, it is dead easy to buy a domain and have it hosted, and they mostly also offer options for you to set up a website easily. When you want a more professional one, you can upload your templates as well.

Are the freeware WYSIWYG editors doable or should I just spring for Dreamweaver or Front Page??

Depends on your level of proficiency, I guess. If you plan to be pretty "hands off" the actual code and primarily use the WYIWYG interface, then yeah, I guess they are okay. But if you ever plan to dig into the code by hand, they can actually make life harder because they like to insert a lot of junk into the code. FrontPage has traditionally been an especially bad offender, in this case. Don't use FrontPage if you don't want your developer-nerd friends making fun of you. :lol Dreamweaver is ok, but kind of pricey and may be more than you actually need.

If you think you want to go WYSIWYG, I would first take a shot at one of the freeware apps. It should, at least, give you a feel for if that is the route you want to go.

But you might also want to take a look at something like HomeSite first. It may be all you need and is more affordable than the higher-end apps. I haven't used a recent version, so I'm not sure how much WYSIWYG it has (if any), but is the 'classic' web editor software.

I have gotten used to Dreamweaver. I resisted learning it for a long time but I finally did and I am pretty happy with it. It does add a lot of weird code but I'm a programmer anyway, so no big deal.

One thing: do not use iPower. We used them for a while and then 1 day they went belly up and we could not use them anymore because they could not fix our issues. Also, 1&1 was not all that hot, but that was a long time ago.

Right now for a hosting site we are using hostmonster and I like it.

p.s. iPower has a lot of other badges now, so beware.