So, I'm considering taking my little Champ 600 practice amp up a notch, using this kit (the premium one):

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/champ-upgrade-kits.html

So, I know I can handle the speaker replacement and tubes(obviously) no problem. I've wired guitars, but this is a whole new level, especially considering that I'll have to deal with stuff like draining the caps (which could result in electrocution if I screw that up). So, is this something I should take on by myself, or would that be crazy? The kit would still be worth it for the speaker and tubes, but if that's all I'm going to do, it would surely be cheaper to just get the individual parts (and I've already upgraded the factory tubes).

I'm also going to upgrade the strat I built earlier this year (I haven't been very happy with the Torres kit I installed at the time), but I've done that before, and soldering for guitar wiring is minor league compared to the amp stuff:

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/strat.html

My ability to screw things up with a soldering iron is the one step that has always made me not get into amp modding. Lately, I've been really wanting a little amp that I could keep under my desk -- like the Champ or a Gibson GA-5. All these little amps seem like everyone is modding them to make them super awesome -- I fear I would make it super notworkanymore.

My ability to screw things up with a soldering iron is the one step that has always made me not get into amp modding. Lately, I've been really wanting a little amp that I could keep under my desk -- like the Champ or a Gibson GA-5. All these little amps seem like everyone is modding them to make them super awesome -- I fear I would make it super notworkanymore.

That's my biggest fear as well (well, other than the whole electrocution thing). I've been pretty successful soldering inside guitars, but circuit boards scare me. Years ago, I attempted to mod a tube screamer TS9 with the old TS808 chip. It did not go well. Perhaps I can convince a more technically inclined friend to do this.

So, I'm considering taking my little Champ 600 practice amp up a notch, using this kit (the premium one):

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/champ-upgrade-kits.html

So, I know I can handle the speaker replacement and tubes(obviously) no problem. I've wired guitars, but this is a whole new level, especially considering that I'll have to deal with stuff like draining the caps (which could result in electrocution if I screw that up). So, is this something I should take on by myself, or would that be crazy? The kit would still be worth it for the speaker and tubes, but if that's all I'm going to do, it would surely be cheaper to just get the individual parts (and I've already upgraded the factory tubes).

I'm also going to upgrade the strat I built earlier this year (I haven't been very happy with the Torres kit I installed at the time), but I've done that before, and soldering for guitar wiring is minor league compared to the amp stuff:

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/kits/strat.html

You concerns are valid, but id say if you have soldering and circuit experience, youll be fine with this mod...after reading your many posts, im sure youre not an idiot, which helps too :thumbup

Electrocution is usually a bigger deal with higher watt amps...their filter caps are bigger and hold more juice...that said, discharging a cap is an easy process...make sure you wear rubber/latex gloves, not just to minimize the chance of shock, but because finger oils are bad for these components

I use JJs in my AC30, i like them alot, and the speaker is certainly an improvement, but im not sold on those caps, i think you could do better, esp since all you are changing on the filter (polar) cap is the value, and not the composition of the element...

That's my biggest fear as well (well, other than the whole electrocution thing). I've been pretty successful soldering inside guitars, but circuit boards scare me. Years ago, I attempted to mod a tube screamer TS9 with the old TS808 chip. It did not go well. Perhaps I can convince a more technically inclined friend to do this.

youll be fine, just be careful, use a high watt iron for lightning quick solders (boards cant take long term heat), take good notes (i log my processes and tape old parts to a notebook page to check myself), and mort importantly, make sure the amp is unplugged

You concerns are valid, but id say if you have soldering and circuit experience, youll be fine with this mod...after reading your many posts, im sure youre not an idiot, which helps too :thumbup

Thanks -- I'm still not sure if I'm going to try it myself or not, but it's nice to have a vote of confidence.

I use JJs in my AC30, i like them alot, and the speaker is certainly an improvement, but im not sold on those caps, i think you could do better, esp since all you are changing on the filter (polar) cap is the value, and not the composition of the element...

What caps would you recommend as an alternative?

Anyway, I appreciate the replies -- as usual, the regulars here in "Solid State Technology" have proven to be a valuable resource. When I post something here, I generally have a pretty good idea of who is likely to respond, and ya'll have never failed to offer solid advice or to help me look at an issue in a different light. I doubt I could have built my custom strat this past year without all the help. Thanks guys.

always happy to help...i love living vicariously through other gearheads...i just bought a house in which im building a studio and cant wait to get finished so i can share with yall

Sprague Atom filter capacitors all the way!

Sooo....I made a trip to Guitar Center today to get my dad an Xmas gift and took time to play the Champ 600 while was there. HOLY SHIT. What a cool amp. I'd heard great things, but you know -- people talk a lot. This is really a neat little amp. I can imagine, with a little tweaking that this thing would just slay. I think just a new speaker (after the obvious new tubes) would make it a super little amp. Damn I want one. :)

Sooo....I made a trip to Guitar Center today to get my dad an Xmas gift and took time to play the Champ 600 while was there. HOLY SHIT. What a cool amp. I'd heard great things, but you know -- people talk a lot. This is really a neat little amp. I can imagine, with a little tweaking that this thing would just slay. I think just a new speaker (after the obvious new tubes) would make it a super little amp. Damn I want one. :)

Yeah, I've been really happy with it. I put new tubes in the day I got it, and it has quickly become my primary recording amp due to the ability to get it to breakup at relatively low volumes. I can't imagine it would be much good in a performance situation, but I don't play out anymore. My old Bassman 10 has quickly fallen into disuse. I should probably look into selling it, but I can't quite bring myself to part with it.