Von for the Holidays....

Von Freeman appears to be soldiering on each Tuesday at the New Apartment Lounge on 75th St. Seems like a Tuesday around the holidays would be a good time to try and get a group together and go. Either the 23rd or 30th of December could work for me. Chime in if anyone is interested. I may go one of these days without y'all!!!

LouieB

30th works for me too...I think I will be off on the 31st, so I will have no excuse. Only time I saw, I think, Freeman play was at the Green Mill a good few Decembers ago with Peterson. It was great, but the Green Mill crowd where extra noisy and ornery that night. My brother was literally screamed at by a well dressed patron because he placed his drink down on her table for a second so he could put his coat on. It was good and fun to watch the two old guys blow, though. I have never ventured down to the New Apartment, which is ridiculous since I live down here on the Southside.

30th works for me too...I think I will be off on the 31st, so I will have no excuse. Only time I saw, I think, Freeman play was at the Green Mill a good few Decembers ago with Peterson. It was great, but the Green Mill crowd where extra noisy and ornery that night. My brother was literally screamed at by a well dressed patron because he placed his drink down on her table for a second so he could put his coat on. It was good and fun to watch the two old guys blow, though. I have never ventured down to the New Apartment, which is ridiculous since I live down here on the Southside.
Depending on where on the south side, I suppose not going isnt unusual. But be rest asured some VCers will be there. BTW, Peterson is a mere kid compared to Von. He used to play the Get Me High Lounge in Bucktown a few decades ago, while Von played with Bird and other beboppers.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...
I'm still planing to go tonight.

(Hey Lou, please check your messages.)

I did...not sure I have CD ROMs but if I do you got it. Otherwise we will connect at another point.

Don't worry about Braxton at this point either.

To anyone else who is just reading this....this is actually happening...and should be a blast...first round on me.

LouieB

Fun time last night.

The whole bar was pretty packed and all were in a festive mood. I think the bar scene was the highlight for me, but that does take away anything from Von and his band's performance, which was good. From the lady bartender yelling at everyone around me (in a good humor type of way), to the guy, who was standing next to me, who has been going to these Tuesday gigs on a regular basis since 91 or so, telling me the history of the area, about the players who stopped in over the years, and the family history of Von Freeman. One of the interesting stories by this guy was about one of the singers who sat in with Von last night who was one of Martin Luther King's get away drivers when King used to do his marches in the Marquette Park during the early 60's. Of course all this happening while Freeman was playing: usually chatter bugs me, but last night, in the back of the Lounge with all the regulars, made the night a very interesting experience.

Thanks again Lou for the Jewels and Binoculars discs. Listened to the first two this morning - a great way to spend the morning after last night's "history lesson".

Hoped you enjoyed the show from your front row perspective, I'll leave you the music review, since you probably were able to hear it a lot better. :)

Sorry we didn't get to talk sooner. I feel like a dope on that.

It was a festive but late night. Mike, the drummer (who actually remembered my name when I talked to him after the set.) was very late so things didn't get started until nearly 11. The usual guitarist was missing, although the guy sitting in did okay. As usual Von and the rhthym section were quite good. I got to talk to Von for a few too at the end of the night. He warmed up pretty fast at the beginning, but he never really caught fire. The singers were also fairly uninspired too. I mean they are never great, but one of them got pissed at the bass player and that was kind of rude. Teddy Bear is a regular and even he seems to be fading somewhat with age. Needless to say some nights are not going to be world class from Von, a guy who is approaching his middle 80s. It is enough that these jams continue and that Von continues to show up. Weezie the bartender is a major trip, as is the entire bar. She yelled at some guys to get out of my buddy John's seat; I guess we rate since she actually recognzes me at this point. I think it is funny that the bar next door is actually a different place, even though it has only one door.

I would like to have heard the history. I know some about Von's family (son and brother at least). The hood is actually looking better these days and certainly is an interesting place. I pass by the New Apartment alot during the day.

We need to do this again some time. Did you stay for the second jam? I rarely do. There used to be a ton of really excellent HS students who would get on at about 1 AM.

Well let's try this again some time.

LouieB