Peter Laughner - Take the Guitar Player For a Ride

I have a copy of that Peter Laughner album, am listening now, and have found that, on the last half of the album, the sound starts to break up -- becomes a lot of static, as if maybe it's being played through blown speakers.

It's not a good sound.

I have played it on several systems, tried ripping it to mp3, and it still has the same problem.

I really want to own a GOOD copy of this amazing disc.

Can anyone help me? I've only seen it available used at Amazon and other sites for $40 to $150 a copy; I can't do that.

Can anyone help me? I've only seen it available used at Amazon and other sites for $40 to $150 a copy; I can't do that.

:blink wow, i'll have to sell mine! It's a good disc but I haven't touched the actual cd in 10 years.

I have a copy of that Peter Laughner album, am listening now, and have found that, on the last half of the album, the sound starts to break up -- becomes a lot of static, as if maybe it's being played through blown speakers.

It's not a good sound.

I have played it on several systems, tried ripping it to mp3, and it still has the same problem.

Many of these are bedroom demos, or, more to the point, parents'-house bedroom demos. (Young musicians will get the distinction.) They're full of the high-end fuzz of a cheap microphone, the cagey feel of being overheard by Dad, but also the plowing fury of someone who wants to break out.

Laughner's only known entrance into a recording studio was for the Pere Ubu single sessions, though he left behind countless lo-fi live, rehearsal, and demo recordings. In 1994, Tim/Kerr label released Take the Guitar Player for a Ride, a 15 track compilation drawn from these tapes. This compilation has since gone out of print. Fans continue to circulate bootleg recordings and a Cleveland-based label, Handsome Productions, offers a comprehensive collection of his music on CD, officially endorsed by his estate. As of 2007, the Smog Veil record label is reported to be releasing a Laughner box set (with tapes procured from Handsome Productions, David Thomas, and Tim Wright) which may materialize in 2009.

GOT IT!

Thanks so much!

(And it wasn't a lo-fi kinda popping, it was a screwed-up disc kinda popping. But that's all good now!)