I have thought about diving into the lap steel world as well so will keep an eye on this thread. I was not even sure where to begin. Don't even really know if I want a lap or pedal steel.

i got a morell lap steel on musicians friend for 175. the thing sounds pretty good, and it plays well. the nut on mine broke, but it still plays allright. you get what you pay for.

i want this one someday:

http://www.asherguitars.com/lap_steel_electro_h_jr.php

That SX gets rave reviews, i couldn't find one available when I bought my starter lap steel. I picked up one of those Rogue deals on Musician's Friend. Super cheap so worth it for me, I've put steel parts on scads of songs since I got it. But it is a serious pain in the butt to get in tune.

Whatever model you go with I say start with a lap before you invest in a pedal steel, I think it's easier to eat $80-$250 then the couple-thousand a mid-level pedal steel will run you.

Edit to add: a lot of times I see what seem like good deals on this forum:

bb steel guitar "for sale" forum

The rest of that site is pretty great for general info on these topics, too.

If you're not itching to get someting tomorrow, you should try lurking on ebay for a couple months. I picked up a lap steel like the one below for $70 or so, which is about what one of those Rogue lap steels cost:

http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/details...t=660&path=

Of course, mine isn't nearly in as nice condition and there was no case included, but the pickup is to die for.