I saw the other day that the Coen brothers are going to make "True Grit." The comments are that it won't be a remake, but would be closer to the original book.

I was impressed by True Grit, the dialog in that movie is like poetry in places, and all of the actors do a great job -- but particuarly Darby, Strother Martin daring to try to debate her, and the Duke as a self deprecating Rooster Cogburn.

I think if anyone could pull this off, it would be the Coen bros. Violent and dark, sure. But there's undercurrents to the story that couldn't be touched when the original was made.

Saw a few blogs, and rolling commentaries decrying it as sacrilege, and that no one should dishonor Marion Micheal Morrison by trying to follow up his performance. But I think they miss the point that this movie was out of character for John Wayne.

I wonder who would play Rooster within the Coen vein though. John Goodman? :stunned

If a movie has the Coen Brother's listed as director and/or writer, I'm in.

This re-telling of the movie will be from the 14 year old girl's perspective, rather than from Rooster's.

The Coen Brothers are wrapping up A Serious Man....supposedly loosely based or reflecting on their childhood.