Bang on a Can w/Glenn

Anyone else go to the show?

--

I am surprised I am the only one that went. ah well. For those that didn't go and are interested, Glenn's portion of the show was great. If you ever have the chance to see Glenn solo do it! It is well worth it and something VERY different from a Wilco show. A friend went with me and she had never been to a percussion show or anything remotely close to that kind of thing and thoroughly enjoyed Glenn's set.

Then we stayed for the second half of the show (the crowd really did thin out after Glenn's set finished). It was Terry Riley. I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of Terry Riley. It was pretty apparent to my friend and I that people were at the show either to see Glenn or to see Terry. And you could pretty much tell who was there for which portion. We were not so thrilled with the Terry portion. A little to out there and drug induced for our taste. The first song he did was great and then he quickly lost my attention. At the end, he really didn't need to do the ode to cannabis or the hippy commune song (where the last line was something to the tune that they offered him a joint). we pretty much got it by that point.

When Terry was introduced the director of the performing arts center said she had heard is music 30 years ago and thought ok great, but why is this important. And then 30 years later she knows exactly why it is important. My friend and I decided 30 years from now we'll get it. Until then....yawn....Glenn's portion was great though!!!

Sorry to chime in a little late here, but we took in this show too. We wanted to make a day of it and see most of the performances, but ended up getting there just for the ticketed show. It was nice to be able to see Glenn in this element and hear his work live. Glad he added Monkey Chant to open.

Bang on a Can's contribution to Glenn's composition of Snap and Mobile were pretty cool to hear as well.

Terry Riley was pretty far out, but talking to some folks after the show apparently this performance was different than most of his other work.

A fun night all in all.

Terry Riley was pretty far out, but talking to some folks after the show apparently this performance was different than most of his other work.

I wonder if his other work is more closely to that first song. I really liked that song and I am glad Glenn added the first song. Although when he and David did the dueling drums (ok they weren't really dueling, playing together) that was pretty amazing.

Am glad I'm not the only VCer that was there. yay!