Sports Superstitions

This was a topic this morning that people around work were talking about. With the Final Four here in Detroit, the Tiger's home opener next week, the NHL playoff soon, and the NBA playoffs around the corner. What do you do? Anything? I'll admit to one (although there are a few others I won't admit to):

I always start a beard opening day of the Tiger's season. When it becomes clear they aren't going to the playoff, I shave it. In 2006 I looked like the Unabomber.

I had friends who, in the days before the Pack won their 90s superbowl, would play AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" before watching every game. The week they didn't the Pack lost.

I don't have any sports superstitions, but a hat on the bed is the worst thing imaginable. NEVER put a hat on the bed. That shit will fuck you up.

I don't have any sports superstitions, but a hat on the bed is the worst thing imaginable. NEVER put a hat on the bed. That shit will fuck you up.

Elaborate, please.

Not really a superstition, but: to not claim a victory until the absolute last out. I started this "superstition" after calling my brother during the 8th inning of the 2003 ALCS game 7 right before Jeter and Bernie got on base. I was prematurely celebrating. I blame myself for the entire fiasco and my brother has never let me live it down.

Though he did call me during Lester's 8th inning of his no-hitter last year and just whispered "shhhhhh" and hung up.

Elaborate, please.

Putting a hat on a bed is a harbinger of doom. Akin to a black cat crossing your path, a broken mirror, walking under a ladder, etc, except worse than all. I don't seriously believe it, but I also don't put a hat on a bed, and if I see one lying there, I take it off. Inherited that superstition from my mom, who is Peruvian. I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of this superstition, except that it's in the movie "Drugstore Cowboy". Matt Dillon's character freaks out when he sees a hat on a bed, and sure enough, Heather Graham (the one who put it there) is dead from ODing soon after. He blames the hat.

Elaborate, please.

Not really a superstition, but: to not claim a victory until the absolute last out. I started this "superstition" after calling my brother during the 8th inning of the 2003 ALCS game 7 right before Jeter and Bernie got on base. I was prematurely celebrating. I blame myself for the entire fiasco and my brother has never let me live it down.

Though he did call me during Lester's 8th inning of his no-hitter last year and just whispered "shhhhhh" and hung up.

Hat on the bed was a superstition from drug store cowboy, great movie.

I have an old and tattered Gold T shirt with purple lettering that usually make an appearance for all big LSU football and baseball games. It was purchased my Jr year at LSU the morning of the 1996 College World Series Championship Game, b/c I didn't have a "lucky shirt" and thought that day would be an excellent day to start that luck.

LSU was trailing Miami 8-7 when Warren Morris, who had missed most of the season with a broken wrist, came to the plate. 9 hole hitter b/c of his wrist, hit a bottom of the ninth, 2 out, 2 run, first pitch, walk off homerun to win the college world series. That was Morris's only HR that year and the day I got my lcuky LSU tshirt!

Putting a hat on a bed is a harbinger of doom. Akin to a black cat crossing your path, a broken mirror, walking under a ladder, etc, except worse than all. I don't seriously believe it, but I also don't put a hat on a bed, and if I see one lying there, I take it off. Inherited that superstition from my mom, who is Peruvian. I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of this superstition, except that it's in the movie "Drugstore Cowboy". Matt Dillon's character freaks out when he sees a hat on a bed, and sure enough, Heather Graham (the one who put it there) is dead from ODing soon after. He blames the hat.

Did not know that. Nice handle btw.....

Every damn night I smoke a cigarette before I go to bed and this neighbor's black cat walks right in front of me. Every night. Essentially I'm problemless, but if these trips across my path are adding up to some zenith of doom, me and that cat are having words. And by words I mean I'm gonna "relocate" it.

Have you tried offering the cat a smoke? Maybe you guys can become smoking pals or something and this whole thing'll just blow over.

Like most cats I have met in my life, he's a bit aloof. My new superstition should be if I don't see the cat the Tigers are screwed.