Captain Beefheart at SXSW w/ PJ Harvey

The other day I read a SXSW recap that said Captain Beefheart/Don Van Vliet joined PJ Harvey onstage for two songs at one of her gigs. I had not heard anything else about that, and I can't find anything on the internet about it. Is this BS? The article I read did not seem like an April Fools joke, but I assume it's a lie, or else it'd be all over the internet.

Maybe it wasn't Van Vliet but Eric Drew Feldman (former Magic Band member)?

This is from an April 5th blog post on beefheart.com:

"Beefheart's work ... used to make me feel ill" - PJ Harvey

PJ Harvey's new album A Woman A Man Walked By, recorded with long-time musical collaborator John Parish, features former Magic Band member Eric Drew Feldman on keyboards.

John Parish and PJ Harvey are both Captain Beefheart fans and significant musical similarities to the work of Captain Beefheart have been noted by most reviewers. Even the publicity material for the album at PJ Harvey's MySpace page flags the Beefheart connection.

In a video at Island Records website John and Polly can be heard talking about their musical influences. Polly explains how she first came to appreciate Captain Beefheart:

"I'd heard Beefheart when I was really young through my father and my mother ... they had all of Beefheart's work, but when I was a child it just used to make me feel ill. I didn't understand it. And then when I met John when I was sixteen / seventeen he introduced me to many things, one of which was re-introducing me to Captain Beefheart, and he gave me a cassette of Shiny Beast which I still have."

Maybe it wasn't Van Vliet but Eric Drew Feldman (former Magic Band member)?

Yeah, I knew she has worked with Feldman. The article I read said that PJ, during her set, said "are you ready Don?" and then the Captain joined her onstage for two songs. Here's the excerpt (which i read in stomp and Stammer magazine, but the link is to the author's myspace blog):

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseact...logId=481131315

The PJ Harvey and

John Parish showcase Saturday (at the Parish, naturally) was the stuff that

makes SXSW legendary. First of all, the material from the new A Woman A Man Walked By was brilliant. Then

around 2:30 a.m., ....Harvey....

leaned into the mic and said,

The last I'd heard, the good Captain was in poor health, so if he really did appear with P.J., that's exceptionally good news!

Seems like if this were real, iot'd be all over the internet music sites. Even the semi-official Beefheart sites have nothing.

How has no one pointed out that the article "cited" on that myspace blog (http://blurt-online.com/news/view/2062/) was posted on April 1?

This is clearly not true. This would be pretty huge news to the music world. Beefheart is definitely not "well-known," per se, but him doing anything after so much ianctivity would be pretty big.