Patterson Hood and the Screwtopians

Caught them at the Black Cat in DC last night. Great show--they are a surprisingly tight band, considering they haven't played together all that much. Neff's work on pedal steel and on lead guitar was terrific. It didn't have near the energy of a DBT show, in part because of the number of ballads, and in part because the crowd was a bit lame, but probably the best $15 I'll spend this year. In addition to most of "Oscar," they played Big Star's Kangaroo, DBT's Feb. 14 and Something's Gotta Give Pretty Soon, as well as some songs I didn't recognize.

Oh, and Wilco's "One Wing" played on the PA before they came out on stage. That was pretty cool, too.

Agreed that the crowd was lame. I was upfront, but could still hear the torrent of conversation going on around the bar areas. Don't get why people pay essentially a $15 cover charge to drink PBR. I'll also agree how great PH was. Will Johnson was incredible. I wished he would've done a monster 2 hour set, but still it was great to see him play with the Screwtopians. Neff is amazing. I wonder if he ever writes anything. I'm sure it'd be a decent record.

I came into the show kinda meh on the album, but it certainly sold it for me. Ending with Elton John's "All The Girls Love Alice" was stunning.

I stayed around to get my record signed and talk with Patterson. Really nice guy. Absolutely genuine.

Here I am with him:

4916_114147324621_515894621_2871758_6254122_n.jpg

Agreed that the crowd was lame. I was upfront, but could still hear the torrent of conversation going on around the bar areas. Don't get why people pay essentially a $15 cover charge to drink PBR. I'll also agree how great PH was. Will Johnson was incredible. I wished he would've done a monster 2 hour set, but still it was great to see him play with the Screwtopians. Neff is amazing. I wonder if he ever writes anything. I'm sure it'd be a decent record.

I came into the show kinda meh on the album, but it certainly sold it for me. Ending with Elton John's "All The Girls Love Alice" was stunning.

I stayed around to get my record signed and talk with Patterson. Really nice guy. Absolutely genuine.

Here I am with him:

4916_114147324621_515894621_2871758_6254122_n.jpg

Wow, you could be brothers.

• 1 year later...