Patterson Hood and the Screwtopians

PATTERSON HOOD TO RELEASE MURDERING OSCAR (and other love songs) on June 23, 2009

Patterson Hood & the Screwtopians announce first leg of the tour

Patterson Hood will release Murdering Oscar (and other love songs) on June 23, 2009 on Ruth St. Records. The second solo record from the leader of the Drive-By Truckers has been 15 years in the making. The album was produced by Hood and long-time DBT producer David Barbe (Sugar). Most of his DBT band mates join him on the album as well as Don Chambers, Will Johnson and Scott Danbom from Centro-matic/South San Gabriel. This is also the first time Hood's father David Hood, famed Muscle Shoals bass player, joins him on a record.

The album was recorded at Chase Park Transduction Studios in Athens, GA and will also be released on 180 gram vinyl. The vinyl release will include three exclusive bonus tracks. An a cappella version of "Range War" will also be available exclusively with iTunes. "Pollyanna" and "Pride of the Yankees" are available to preview on his Myspace page: www.myspace.com/pattersonhood.

Hood and the Screwtopians will start the first leg of their tour in Nashville and end with a headlining slot at AthFest in Hood's hometown of Athens, GA. Joining Hood on tour will be Brad Morgan (drums), John Neff (guitar/steel), Scott Danbom (keys/fiddle), Will Johnson (guitar) and David Barbe (bass), who has not toured since his days with Sugar. Will Johnson will open the shows.

Tour dates:

June 18 Nashville, TN Grimey's in-store

June 18 Nashville, TN Mercy Lounge

June 19 Louisville, KY Headliner's

June 20 Chicago, IL The Metro

June 22 Philadelphia, PA World Caf

• 2 weeks later...
bump.

half way through this thing and i'm thinking this might rank above all but maybe 3-4 Truckers records...

def like the production on it way more

Now we're talking! I was hoping to begin hearing this kind of talk. I would love to catch that tour, quite a strong line-up!

Not officially.

These words are a bane to my continued existence.

Put me down for the Louisville show. Anyone around here wanna meet up for that one?

wish he was playing atlanta. i'm not complaining though. he and the band played a free show at the decatur book fair last summer and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen. neff is the man!

After 2 listens I really like it. However, I miss the home recording/acoustic style of Killers & Stars. This sounds a bit too much like a DBT record without the Cooley. The bass is recognizably better on several tracks though. :heehee

Put me down for the Louisville show. Anyone around here wanna meet up for that one?

Hey Greg,

If you happen to make it back east, we are in for the D.C. show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone on here going to either the Louisville in-store at Ear X Tacy or the show at Headliners? I just moved back to Louisville after 14 years and I don't know a soul. If anyone's going send me a pm and maybe we can meet up. Looking forward to it, Greg

Apparently their set on the Sonic Stage at Bonnaroo was their first performance ever. Was supposed to be only half an hour, but Gomez cancelled so they played a full hour. Really liked the songs I heard.

I just got back from seeing Patterson and band play a free in-store performance. I talked to him briefly and got tonight's ticket autographed. He has the most chicken-scratchy signature ever. Anyhow, off to the show now. Below is a write up in today's Louisville Courier-Journal. Enjoy, Greg

Patterson Hood has been rummaging through his impetuous youth for the last few years, listening to nearly-forgotten tapes of his younger self all jacked up on broken hearts, righteous anger and cheap beer.

Advertisement

It started in 2004 when he was cleaning house and stumbled across a cassette of an album he recorded on a boom box 10 years earlier, well before he started the Drive-By Truckers. Hood had just moved to Athens, Ga., when he made the album, and was freshly divorced and living on minimum wage in a dicey neighborhood. He passed out copies to whomever would take one.

When he rediscovered the tape, it had been a decade since he last listened.

"I really, really thought that was a good batch of songs when I wrote them," said Hood, who performs Friday at Headliners Music Hall and for free at Ear X-tacy. "And 10 years later I was kind of struck by how well they'd held up, even though I couldn't have been in a more different place in my own head and also creatively than I was when I wrote 'em.

"I had just gotten divorced and was still kind of reeling from all of that, and I was pretty negative about relationships and having a family, and was kind of running from all that. When I rediscovered it in late '04, I had a baby on the way and had just gotten married, and I was definitely settling into a more tranquil kind of home existence than I'd ever had before."

Hood, 44, decided to have a conversation with his younger self and began writing new songs designed to act as a counterpoint, the happy Patterson talking to bitter Hood. The result was "Murdering Oscar (and other love songs)," a solo album made with a cast of family and friends he dubbed The Screwtopians. It was largely recorded in 2004 with DBT producer David Barbe but finished much later since the solo project took a backseat to the band.

Hood was joined in the studio for the first time by his father, David, a veteran of the Muscle Shoals scene and one of history's finest, most soulful bass players (that's no hyperbole; he's the bassist on The Staple Singers' "I'll Take You There" and "Respect Yourself"). Most of the Drive-By Truckers, including longtime partner Mike Cooley, and Centro-Matic's Will Johnson, Don Chambers and Scott Danbom also performed on "Oscar."

(2 of 2)

Fans of the Drive-By Truckers won't feel lost; "Oscar" is vintage Hood in every sense, from his molasses drawl to his gift for concise, well-observed scenarios. Some of the point-counterpoint is obvious, such as the pairing of the anti-family "Screwtopia" with "Grandaddy," a prayer about growing old peacefully.

Advertisement

"I love having 'Grandaddy' right next to 'Screwtopia' 'cause they are polar opposites," Hood said. "One is definitely embracing what the other is making fun of, so I like that aspect of it. One of my favorite things about playing in the Truckers is that point-counterpoint aspect of Cooley and I's writing. We couldn't be more different and yet we find ourselves frequently writing about the exact same things but from very different viewpoints."

Although Hood was reliving his past making "Oscar," he wasn't reliving the emotions. "In some ways it was almost like singing cover songs 'cause it seemed like someone else had written them. I feel very different about the subject matter, but I had no trouble re-inhabiting that place to sing it. I'm just glad I'm not having to live it anymore."

Hood recently repeated the process for the Drive-By Truckers. The band pored over reels of unused recordings made between 2001 and 2008, selecting a batch worth finishing. Barbe oversaw the process as an objective third party and the result is "The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003-2008)," to be released Sept. 1 on New West.

Hood is currently on three different tours — with the Screwtopians, the Drive-By Truckers and the DBT backing soul legend Booker T. Jones, to promote "Potato Hole," the new album they made with him. For the Screwtopians tour he's been joined by Johnson as both bandmate and opening act, and Barbe has dusted off his bass to tour for the first time since 1995, when he was a member of Sugar with Bob Mould.

"He's like a member of the band when we're making records but we haven't toured with him, so that's going to be a new and fun experience," Hood said. "He came out with me for a weekend last spring … and if that was any indication he won't have any problems. He was hanging from the rafters."

They played last night for about an hour and 20 minutes and based upon the song titles, they played a good majority of "Oscar," as well as "Feb 14th" from "A Blessing and a Curse," and closed with Big Star's "I'm in love with a girl." All in all it was a pretty good show, albeit a bit uneven with four or five ballads in a row at one point. the musicianship on stage was top-notch, though you could sense in places they were still feeling each other out.

Caught them at the Black Cat in DC last night. Great show--they are a surprisingly tight band, considering they haven't played together all that much. Neff's work on pedal steel and on lead guitar was terrific. It didn't have near the energy of a DBT show, in part because of the number of ballads, and in part because the crowd was a bit lame, but probably the best $15 I'll spend this year. In addition to most of "Oscar," they played Big Star's Kangaroo, DBT's Feb. 14 and Something's Gotta Give Pretty Soon, as well as some songs I didn't recognize.

Oh, and Wilco's "One Wing" played on the PA before they came out on stage. That was pretty cool, too.