Tuning question

yall may have gone over this before, but I didnt see it on the boards. I'm not much of a guitar player, but I try and I'm learning. So far Ive only played songs with standard tuning, well, b/c, thats all I know how to do. Ashes of American flags, handshake drugs, california stars, etc. Could someone, in a simple manner, please go over just a couple of the common tunings jeff uses for some of the less advanved songs. i.e., open d,, drop d, etc. by simple manner, I mean, what should my tuner indicate when I pluck the strings? Thanks guys!

Standard tuning is on the left, and the tunings you are asking about are on the right. In each case, tune down from standard tuning to the notes indicated.

Drop D (only one change):

E > D

A > A

D > D

G > G

B > B

E > E

Open D:

E > D

A > A

D > D

G > F#

B > A

E > D

Are you looking for tabs of songs in alternate tunings?

here's another thread about tunings

i'm not sure about the DADAAD tuning - i always break my 3rd (G) string when tuning it up to an A. always.

I always hate going up in tuning as well. For those type of tunings I like to tune the other strings down and throw a capo on. For example to play in open A I tune to Open G and put a capo on the 2nd fret.