Ok, so I have a MAC with Pro Tools installed that I use at my "home studio". It would suck extremely bad if the OS ever got corrupted so bad that I could no longer boot.

I was thinking it would be wise to create a complete clone/image of the OS.

Any one ever done this? Recommend any method or software (preferably free) that can accomplish this?

Im not sure if you are talking about backing up the data oon your drive, or just having a copy of leopard as a back up in case you need it...i use time machine to back up data and use an external hard drive to archive projects, music, etc.

I dont think there is a way to extract a working version of OSX from your computer to a dvd...did your mac not come with a DVD with OSX on it?

Im not sure if you are talking about backing up the data oon your drive, or just having a copy of leopard as a back up in case you need it...i use time machine to back up data and use an external hard drive to archive projects, music, etc.

I dont think there is a way to extract a working version of OSX from your computer to a dvd...did your mac not come with a DVD with OSX on it?

Thanks for the reply. I do have a way to backup just the data to an external HD, but I was wondering if there was a way to make a complete restore-able clone of the OS. I do this all the time with Windows using Ghost, ImageDrive, etc., so I was wondering if there was a way to do it with a MAC.

I do have mac OSX on CD, but its just nice to have the ability to restore completely from image. That way all settings etc. are preserved.

What version of OS X are you running. If it's Leopard, Time Machine operating with an external drive will save a previous version of the whole drive, including OS if I understand correctly. You'd just revert to the last good version.

That said, I have BounceBack, installed from another external device (Symantec, I believe, though the software isn't Symantec) that backs up the whole drive, applications, operating system and all.

What version of OS X are you running. If it's Leopard, Time Machine operating with an external drive will save a previous version of the whole drive, including OS if I understand correctly. You'd just revert to the last good version.

That said, I have BounceBack, installed from another external device (Symantec, I believe, though the software isn't Symantec) that backs up the whole drive, applications, operating system and all.

You know, I'm not even sure what version (too lazy to get it out right now) but it's pretty old. The MAC was purchased back in 2004.

I'll check out Time Machine.. Thanks for the replies.

2004 was tiger (osx.4)... Leopard is the most recent OS upgrade

I think time machine was introduced with leopard and wil not work with earlier OS versions...but i suspect it is what you are asking for...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machine_(Apple_software)