I purchased this a few months ago, when I started buying vinyl, and I have used it a few times on my records for cleaning. However, I have read a huge amount of negative response to this product because it seems to be a cheap knock off of the reliable original.

- I have no problem getting a new brush, but it is the solution that worries me. It seems to be very alcohol based (smell is also very strong) and I have heard that the solution damages the vinyl over time. Some of my records have what appears to be splotches (not scuffs or scratches)...even ones that I have rarely handled or played, but have cleaned.

So, now that you have some background, here are the questions:

1. Is this product really that bad? Does the solution damage the vinyl? I know isopropyl alcohol is often used in solutions, but I have heard this is way too much.

2. What are these splotches, could this be effects of the solution already, or are they just there?

3. What do you guys use, and what is the best way to make home-made solution

Thank you all so much... I'm sure I look like just another person freaking out, but I am going away to college this fall, and I just want to know the facts

3. What do you guys use, and what is the best way to make home-made solution

I don't know anything about the official D4 solution, but the vinyl expert at my local shop that still sells phono cartridges says to make a homemade version, just buy a gallon of distilled water and add a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. I forget the exact mixture. I think I used 1/4 cup, or something. I've never had any trouble with that mixture. I mixed it up eight years ago and still have 90% of it.

There's another thread around here somewhere where this was discussed a bit.

I've used a lot of different products, had over 4000 LP's in my collection at one point...

In my opinion the Discwasher is fine to use on "clean" records, i.e. records that are pretty shiny and maybe have a fingerprint or two + some light dust flakes on them. Use a small amount of the liquid, spread across the length of the brush on one side. With the platter rotating apply VERY LIGHT pressure on the liquid edge, and roll your hand counter-clockwise trying to "pick up" the dirt so it ends up on the middle of the brush. Be careful not to press down hard on the record, you could damage the motor drive or bearing on many turntables doing that. When you put the brush away scrub the crap off it and keep it away from dirt and dust, the brush should always look spotless clean.

Once a record is clean, I always use a carbon fiber brush to get the dust off it before and after every play. I do that even with brand new vinyl, you may not be so picky.

--> Now, if you have records that are really old and grungy, I wouldn't bother with this stuff. You need to be able to really scrub them, with the right kind of brush (or a record vacuum system, or both). Disc Doctor is the best I have found, but it's pricey and a pain in the ass to use. If I had a bit more money I'd just get a VPI or Nitty Gritty vacuum, they work well and fast/convenient.

Happy vinyl spinning!

I don't know anything about the official D4 solution, but the vinyl expert at my local shop that still sells phono cartridges says to make a homemade version, just buy a gallon of distilled water and add a little bit of isopropyl alcohol. I forget the exact mixture. I think I used 1/4 cup, or something. I've never had any trouble with that mixture. I mixed it up eight years ago and still have 90% of it.

There's another thread around here somewhere where this was discussed a bit.

Apparently the new D4 is crap. That is very interesting though, what your local vinyl expert said. Thank you very much, but I actually bought the Audio-Technica kit, because it is the safest bet as far as market record cleaners go. Just out of curiousity, would this be 91% isopropyl alcohol? i know there is also 70% that is sold. Also, when you made your mixture, did you take out the 1/4 cup of distilled water and then add the alcohol, or simply add it to the gallon?

just saw this on another board

"I worked out a solution that my friend and have used to clean hundreds of records many times over. It's simply 5 parts distilled water to 1 part isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. Percentage purity of the alcohol doesn't really matter that much since anything past the alcohol is just pure water. It is important to use only distilled water, though. Some people use photo chemicals or other surfactants in their solutions. I've read advisories against photo-flow but positive feedback for another [numbered but not named] chemical. I can't really advise either way because I'm happy enough with the current solution."

Q. Will alcohol damage my Records?

A. No. Isopropyl alcohol is unable to damage vinyl records no matter how often you choose to clean them. The BBC uses a very similar wet system in their record Archives, often cleaning priceless recordings. Note: for 7" and 10" Shellac records use only distilled water.

Just out of curiousity, would this be 91% isopropyl alcohol? i know there is also 70% that is sold. Also, when you made your mixture, did you take out the 1/4 cup of distilled water and then add the alcohol, or simply add it to the gallon?

I'm not sure the percentage. I just bought whatever rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) was on the shelf at the drug store. I poured out a small amount of the water before adding the alcohol. I didn't measure the exact amount I was poured out.