June 1, 1974 (Live) - John Cale, Brian Eno, Kevin Ayres, Nico

41V1BGJ5Z2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I had this on vinyl for a brief time.

Bought it on reputation before I was really into any of the artists on there, and sold it not long afterwards. Just not the best intro to any of them, methinks.

But now that I am convinced of the genius of the parties involved (Cale and Eno, at the least), I want to revisit this thing.

Anyone here have it? Opinions? Is it worth it? Looks like a good collection with some pretty good songs.

Tracklisting:

1. Driving Me Backward

2. Baby's on Fire

3. Heartbreak Hotel

4. The End (Doors cover)

5. May I?

6. Shouting in a Bucket Blues

7. Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes

8. Everybody's Sometime And Some People's All The Time Blues

9. Two Goes into Four

41V1BGJ5Z2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I had this on vinyl for a brief time.

Bought it on reputation before I was really into any of the artists on there, and sold it not long afterwards. Just not the best intro to any of them, methinks.

I heard this recently. I had a vinyl copy that we sold at the CHIRP record sale. I listened to it because I was curious and didn't keep it because it is CRAP!! Not only is it not the best intro to any of these artists with the exception of Kevin Ayers who I know nothing about and hope never to hear again, it is a cheap ass one off where these three artists help out their "friend" to little effect. Sometimes a project like this should remain obscure; and this is one of these times. Total junk, and not even good enough to keep for the sake of Nico, Cale, and Eno.

That's my opinion. Oh yea...the side with only Kevin Ayers is the worst, but I guess that is obvious.

LouieB

I heard this recently. I had a vinyl copy that we sold at the CHIRP record sale. I listened to it because I was curious and didn't keep it because it is CRAP!! Not only is it not the best intro to any of these artists with the exception of Kevin Ayers who I know nothing about and hope never to hear again, it is a cheap ass one off where these three artists help out their "friend" to little effect. Sometimes a project like this should remain obscure; and this is one of these times. Total junk, and not even good enough to keep for the sake of Nico, Cale, and Eno.

That's my opinion. Oh yea...the side with only Kevin Ayers is the worst, but I guess that is obvious.

LouieB

Here's an interesting note from Wikipedia:

On the 1 June 1974, Ayers headlined a heavily publicised concert at the Rainbow Theatre, London, accompanied by John Cale, Nico, Brian Eno and Mike Oldfield. The performance was released by Island Records just 27 days later on a live LP entitled June 1, 1974'. Tensions were somewhat fraught at the event since the night before John Cale had caught Ayers sleeping with his wife[15] prompting him to write the bile-soaked paean 'Guts' that would appear on his 1975 album Slow Dazzle.

Yeah, I just bought it last year, and hated it. I burned the "Baby's On Fire" onto my iTunes and resold the CD on Amazon.

Kevin Ayers actually has a half-decent psychedelic album called Joy Of A Toy featuring Syd Barrett (on guitar) on the song Singing a Song in the Morning.

kevin ayers has a huge catalogue of great music. for anyone interested, listen to these:

Oh My

The Clarietta Rag

Singing A Song In The Morning (note Syd Barret only plays on the outtakes of the song - this version)

Eleanor's Cake

He's got 5 albums, at least, that are the very finest examples of British prog rock in the 1970s. Maybe you need a British sense of humour to like him, though - it's normally music made with a big smile on the players faces.

kevin ayers has a huge catalogue of great music. for anyone interested, listen to these:

Oh My

The Clarietta Rag

Singing A Song In The Morning (note Syd Barret only plays on the outtakes of the song - this version)

Eleanor's Cake

He's got 5 albums, at least, that are the very finest examples of British prog rock in the 1970s. Maybe you need a British sense of humour to like him, though - it's normally music made with a big smile on the players faces.

He may be (or have been) a fine musician in his own right, but this album stinks. There are few times that a pool of talent this large is used to so little effect.

LouieB

He may be (or have been) a fine musician in his own right, but this album stinks. There are few times that a pool of talent this large is used to so little effect.

LouieB

I think the songs on the album are fine - it's just very badly recorded, so sounds awful to listen to. Anyway, besides that Kevin Ayers is worth checking out - he's actually quite similar to early Brian Eno, but without synths - and obviously he was in Soft Machine with Robert Wyatt (who Eno worked with a lot), so I think all these guys were inspired and liked each others music to some degree or other. And the Canterbury Scene (which Ayers was a big part of) played a huge roll in British rock music up until the mid to late 70s.

I think the songs on the album are fine - it's just very badly recorded, so sounds awful to listen to. Anyway, besides that Kevin Ayers is worth checking out - he's actually quite similar to early Brian Eno, but without synths - and obviously he was in Soft Machine with Robert Wyatt (who Eno worked with a lot), so I think all these guys were inspired and liked each others music to some degree or other. And the Canterbury Scene (which Ayers was a big part of) played a huge roll in British rock music up until the mid to late 70s.

I could deal with the badly recorded, but actually the material on side one (the more famous people) sounds uninspired as well. I understand now that Robert Wyatt was part of the scene, but that is no excuse for putting out such a lack luster piece of work. I am actually shocked that this is also on CD. I sort of figured this was a vinyl era one off that was a nice try back in the day. I can't believe anyone would want to listen to it now.

Frankly I am surpised to find out that anyone has heard it.

LouieB

I could deal with the badly recorded, but actually the material on side one (the more famous people) sounds uninspired as well. I understand now that Robert Wyatt was part of the scene, but that is no excuse for putting out such a lack luster piece of work. I am actually shocked that this is also on CD. I sort of figured this was a vinyl era one off that was a nice try back in the day. I can't believe anyone would want to listen to it now.

Frankly I am surpised to find out that anyone has heard it.

LouieB

Yeah, I'd never recommend anyone buy it, either . I just wanted to point out that Kevin Ayers is really good.