ATP/NY - best weekend of the year

once again the organizers of All Tomorrow's Parties put on one hell of an event in a dingy, overlooked corner of the Catskills. 3 days of entertainment overload centered around bands, but including comedians, live improvisation, trivia games, cult film screenings, performances of complete, specific recordings, live interviews with King Buzzo and Jon Spencer, a poker table helmed by Big Black/Shellac leader Steve Albini...the list goes on and on...incredible weekend. nirvana for music geeks, basically.

Here are my thoughts about the whole thing, links to a review and photo gallery from each day.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Nick Cave

IMG_2546%20copy.jpg

Bob Mould with No Age

no-age-mould.jpg

eye of Boredoms

IMG_4043_1.jpg

Boris

IMG_2473%20(1)_1.jpg

Flaming Lips

IMG_4686_1.jpg

I've sadly read less than great things about SFA at ATP. They're my absolute favorite band, and I went to NY to see them last Friday, the weekend of ATP, and it was incredible. It was a 600 person club, and the band and fans all seemed really into it. And the Furries played a great setlist of old and new shit. Terrific show.

Was it just an enthusiasm issue, or are you not a DD/LY fan?

I've sadly read less than great things about SFA at ATP. They're my absolute favorite band, and I went to NY to see them last Friday, the weekend of ATP, and it was incredible. It was a 600 person club, and the band and fans all seemed really into it. And the Furries played a great setlist of old and new shit. Terrific show.

Was it just an enthusiasm issue, or are you not a DD/LY fan?

to be honest the only song off DD/LY i heard before leaving was "mountain." they started w/ some great songs (slow life, juxtaposed, rings) but there was no life, no zap to their game. i'd seen SFA once in '05 and Gruff solo in '07 and both were great, and i really enjoy most of their catalog. for whatever reason they felt flat to me.