Tell me how to spend my Borders gift card

I always space what it is that I want once I finally have some money to spend on these things.

I've been thinking about Chelsea Girl (Nico), Caetano Veloso's s/t 1969 album, or maybe the new Yo La Tengo (although what I've been hearing about that one has made me cautious).

So, what new music is there that I should consider?

What old stuff?

I always find it fun to make recs. like this.

Now it's your turn.

Thanks, in advance.

I'm a victim of the same phenomenon. If there's any chance at all that the Borders near you will have Nico or Caetano Veloso in stock, then your Borders is far superior to the ones I've been to. The music selection aty Borders is shrinking fast.

I keep meaning to get the new Polvo cd.

Other than that, I have no idea about new or recent releases.

The last couple times I've had a decent Borders coupon I purchased the Pavement double disc sets for Brighten the Corners and Crooked Rain. Those sort of count as old and new.

I always space what it is that I want once I finally have some money to spend on these things.

I've been thinking about Chelsea Girl (Nico), Caetano Veloso's s/t 1969 album, or maybe the new Yo La Tengo (although what I've been hearing about that one has made me cautious).

So, what new music is there that I should consider?

What old stuff?

I always find it fun to make recs. like this.

Now it's your turn.

Thanks, in advance.

The best thing I have picked up this year is the Jason Lytle album 'Yours truly, the commuter'. Not sure if your into Grandaddy but this is a perfect extension of their sound. Its a lovely, understated, record. In terms of older stuff the one artist I always like to recommend is a woman called 'Stina nordenstam'. She's put out about half a dozen albums in a variety of styles. Her classic album is 'And She Closed Her eyes' and her most famous tune is 'Little Star'. Another good band are 'Archive', a British rock group that are a little bit proggy. You might have to search around to pick up their stuff but their website is pretty cool (Archive-Official.com I think?).

If you don't have the 7 World's Collide CD that's definitely worth your money. I like the new Yo La Tengo as well, but it's not as solid as some of their other releases (unfortunately), the opening track though is one of the better tunes they've ever put together and there are a handful of really solid songs. I don't know how you feel about Jim O'Rourke's solo stuff, but his latest album is a pretty interesting all instrumental piece that is very much in line with some of his other drag city releases...

Of course I do not know what you have in your library, but I'll share my last few favorite CD purchases:

1. Iron And Wine - Around the Well (Worth it of just "Dearest Forsaken", "Love Vigilantes" & "Belated Promise Ring" alone)

2. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism (I am new to the Avetts and have become obsessed with this record. "Pretty Girl From Chile" might be the best song ever).

3. Loose Fur - s/t (again, new to this incarnation of Tweedles. "Chinese Apple" is awesome).

4. Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall (I am a huge acoustic Neil fan, so duh, this one kicks ass).

borders.com might be a better destination for music. Most stores have severely cut their inventory of music. Jazz fan? Wanna be a jazz fan? I'd start with the Miles Davis Quintet CDs from Prestige. Workin', Smokin', Relaxin', and Cookin'.

Best advice I have seen in a long time. All of these are good (there may be one more...)

LouieB