The Neil Young Archives (New Thread)

I thought it was time to start a new Neil Young thread looking at the Archives project and all its facets. I was just trying to piece together the whole thing, including the Official Release Series (ORS), the Archive Performance Series (APS) and the Special Release Series (SRS) and putting together the whole timeline. this is what I have come up with so far. Feel free to add in anything that is needed.

APS00: SUGAR MOUNTAIN LIVE AT CANTEBURY HOUSE (1968)

ORS01: NEIL YOUNG (1968)

APS01: LIVE AT THE RIVERBOAT (1969)

ORS02: EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE (1969)

APS02: LIVE AT THE FILMORE (1970)

ORS03: AFTER THE GOLD RUSH (1971)

APS03: MASSEY HALL (1972)

ORS04: HARVEST (1972)

ORS05: TIME FADES AWAY (1973)

ORS06: ON THE BEACH (1974)

SRS01: CHROME DREAMS (1974)

ORS07: TONIGHTS THE NIGHT (1975)

ORS08: ZUMA (1975)

SRS02: HOMEGROWN (1976)

ORS09: AMERICAN STARS AND BARS (1976)

ORS10: COMES A TIME (1978)

ORS11: RUST NEVER SLEEPS (1979)

ORS12: LIVE RUST (1979)

ORS13: HAWKS AND DOVES (1980)

ORS14: RE-AC-TOR (1981)

ORS15: TRANS (1982)

ORS16: EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN' (1983)

ORS17: OLD WAYS (1985)

ORS18: LANDING ON WATER (1986)

ORS19: LIFE (1987)

ORS20: THIS NOTES FOR YOU (1988)

ORS21: ELDORADO (1989)

ORS22: FREEDOM (1989)

ORS23: RAGGED GLORY (1990)

ORS24: ARC-WELD (1991)

APS12: DREAMIN MAN (1992)

ORS25: HARVEST MOON (1992)

ORS26: UNPLUGGED (1993)

ORS27: SLEEPS WITH ANGELS (1994)

ORS28: MIRROR BALL (1995)

ORS29: DEAD MAN (1996)

ORS30: BROKEN ARROW (1996)

ORS31: YEAR OF THE HORSE (1997)

ORS32: SILVER AND GOLD (2000)

SRS03: TOAST (2000)

ORS33: ROCK ROAD V1. (2001)

ORS34: ARE YOU PASSIONATE (2002)

ORS35: GREENDALE (2003)

ORS36: PRAIRIE WIND (2005)

ORS37: LIVING WITH WAR (2006)

ORS38: LIVING WITH WAR IN THE BEGINNING (2006)

ORS39: CHROME DREAMS II (2007)

ORS40: FORK IN THE ROAD (2009)

When you look at the entire list, Neil has been pretty busy over the past 40 years. I have not put in Decade, Lucky 13 and Greatest Hits or the CSNY releases. So what's missing. Alternatively, you can ridicule me for being sad and spending the best part of an hour at work trying to figure this timeline out!!

This is very helpful. And I have created lists that would cause people to question my sanity also. Not that I'm questioning your sanity. In all seriousness. I needed this list.

Oh what is missing? Archives Performance Series 4-11. Don't you have inside sources?

This is very helpful. And I have created lists that would cause people to question my sanity also. Not that I'm questioning your sanity. In all seriousness. I needed this list.

Oh what is missing? Archives Performance Series 4-11. Don't you have inside sources?

Looking at how the first four are spaced I could make some good guesses but I have no inside sources I'm afraid. I think a previous thread had some guesswork at the Performance Series. I am also interested to identify the other Special Releases. In addition to the three I have put in there was also another unreleased album called 'Human Highway' I believe. I assume this would appear somewhere in the mid to late seventies.

? There was a Time Fades Away II??? What was supposed to be on that one??

Idk. He talked about it in an interview and how he was getting it ready and it was going to be a part of the archives etc. He talked about how he switched drummers halfway through the tour and it had a different feel than the first one.

I thought it was time to start a new Neil Young thread looking at the Archives project and all its facets. I was just trying to piece together the whole thing, including the Official Release Series (ORS), the Archive Performance Series (APS) and the Special Release Series (SRS) and putting together the whole timeline. this is what I have come up with so far. Feel free to add in anything that is needed.

APS00: SUGAR MOUNTAIN LIVE AT CANTEBURY HOUSE (1968)

ORS01: NEIL YOUNG (1968)

APS01: LIVE AT THE RIVERBOAT (1969)

ORS02: EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE (1969)

APS02: LIVE AT THE FILMORE (1970)

ORS03: AFTER THE GOLD RUSH (1971)

APS03: MASSEY HALL (1972)

ORS04: HARVEST (1972)

ORS05: TIME FADES AWAY (1973)

ORS06: ON THE BEACH (1974)

SRS01: CHROME DREAMS (1974)

ORS07: TONIGHTS THE NIGHT (1975)

ORS08: ZUMA (1975)

SRS02: HOMEGROWN (1976)

ORS09: AMERICAN STARS AND BARS (1976)

ORS10: COMES A TIME (1978)

ORS11: RUST NEVER SLEEPS (1979)

ORS12: LIVE RUST (1979)

ORS13: HAWKS AND DOVES (1980)

ORS14: RE-AC-TOR (1981)

ORS15: TRANS (1982)

ORS16: EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN' (1983)

ORS17: OLD WAYS (1985)

ORS18: LANDING ON WATER (1986)

ORS19: LIFE (1987)

ORS20: THIS NOTES FOR YOU (1988)

ORS21: ELDORADO (1989)

ORS22: FREEDOM (1989)

ORS23: RAGGED GLORY (1990)

ORS24: ARC-WELD (1991)

APS12: DREAMIN MAN (1992)

ORS25: HARVEST MOON (1992)

ORS26: UNPLUGGED (1993)

ORS27: SLEEPS WITH ANGELS (1994)

ORS28: MIRROR BALL (1995)

ORS29: DEAD MAN (1996)

ORS30: BROKEN ARROW (1996)

ORS31: YEAR OF THE HORSE (1997)

ORS32: SILVER AND GOLD (2000)

SRS03: TOAST (2000)

ORS33: ROCK ROAD V1. (2001)

ORS34: ARE YOU PASSIONATE (2002)

ORS35: GREENDALE (2003)

ORS36: PRAIRIE WIND (2005)

ORS37: LIVING WITH WAR (2006)

ORS38: LIVING WITH WAR IN THE BEGINNING (2006)

ORS39: CHROME DREAMS II (2007)

ORS40: FORK IN THE ROAD (2009)

When you look at the entire list, Neil has been pretty busy over the past 40 years. I have not put in Decade, Lucky 13 and Greatest Hits or the CSNY releases. So what's missing. Alternatively, you can ridicule me for being sad and spending the best part of an hour at work trying to figure this timeline out!!

this is awesome man! now, i'm wondering, what are the archive discs called ARS...? looking at your list, the live series doesn't seem to fit in the archive box at all. i'm gonna study this a bit. thanks. good work.

i've had several coworkers and family members in the past ask me what lists i'm always making. you're not alone:)

Okay, here's what i would add that's pretty sure

Island in the Sun (1982)...first album rejected by geffen. tropical album with some of the tunes that ended up on trans.

Times Square (1989)...album that became Freedom that neil pulled or was rejected.

Human highway was supposed to be a CSNY album. maybe a few of those tunes would just be on the next archives, rather than as an album proper.

possible additions:

TFA II (1973) APS?

Homegrown SRS 1

not sure about chrome dreams being an actual album

Crazy horse 76 show

Comes A Time acoustic with different track list.

Ducks Show

Trans band show

Trans solo show

Old Ways I (1983) SRS

Blue Notes live album

again, great list!

There's a lot of buzz about it being included in the next Archives release.

since toast is part of the special release series, it seems that homegrown would too, outside of the archives maybe?

this site is incredible, especially the timeline.

That is a really helpful site. I've had the Archives set for about a month now and there are a few things I totally missed. On a related issue, I was litening to Disc Two last night I it reminded me just how good the Buffalo Springfield were. They could have been huge but I'm kind of glad they burned out after three albums. I love 'Flying On The Ground', 'On The Way home', 'Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It'. All great stuff.

That is a really helpful site. I've had the Archives set for about a month now and there are a few things I totally missed. On a related issue, I was litening to Disc Two last night I it reminded me just how good the Buffalo Springfield were. They could have been huge but I'm kind of glad they burned out after three albums. I love 'Flying On The Ground', 'On The Way home', 'Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It'. All great stuff.

no doubt about the springfield. i wish their stuff had been produced a bit better. the timeline on that site is amazing with all the speculation through the years. also, the run down of the discs is cool as it highlights stuff that is missing from the archives I.

Has anybody heard any more about the lastest Archive Performance Series release (Number 12 - Dreamin Man). From what I recall it was supposed to be out on 2nd November. Usually you would see pre-release info on Amazon etc but there is no mention of it?

Has anybody heard any more about the lastest Archive Performance Series release (Number 12 - Dreamin Man). From what I recall it was supposed to be out on 2nd November. Usually you would see pre-release info on Amazon etc but there is no mention of it?

Neil has probably postponed it to release a quazi concept album about a new brand of electric shaver he is into.

Neil has probably postponed it to release a quazi concept album about a new brand of electric shaver he is into.

Ha Ha. I would'nt be suprised at all to find this release prosponed for some reason or the other, preferable the reason you mentioned. I proposed "Braun Dreams".

Ha Ha. I would'nt be suprised at all to find this release prosponed for some reason or the other, preferable the reason you mentioned. I proposed "Braun Dreams".

I am actually looking forward to Dreamin Man. Harvest Moon was the first Neil album I ever purchased and I'm kind of hoping the live set will be slightly stripped down. I remember the SNL he did at the time, solo acoustic, man that was sweet.

I will say that I was a tad disapointed in the album art I saw for Dreamin Man. I can be anal about these things, but it didn't seem to match the theme of the previous 3 archive performance series releases. You know, the vinyl and black and white photo stuff.

I am actually looking forward to Dreamin Man. Harvest Moon was the first Neil album I ever purchased and I'm kind of hoping the live set will be slightly stripped down. I remember the SNL he did at the time, solo acoustic, man that was sweet.

I will say that I was a tad disapointed in the album art I saw for Dreamin Man. I can be anal about these things, but it didn't seem to match the theme of the previous 3 archive performance series releases. You know, the vinyl and black and white photo stuff.

I tend to agree with you. I also loved the unplugged album which came out shortly after Harvest Moon. I remember these shows and there was a lot of unrest in the audience as he was just playing a whole set of new material. People were booing and walking out!!