After talking to a friend last night I realize I have not seen this movie; what I saw was a similar movie called King Korn (or Corn), which is about the local food movement in California and the factory farming industry.

There are literally millions of "green" jobs that could be developed as a result of the local food movement, which will take some real live capital to get going. It is one thing to want local commodities, it is another to go to scale on this, which is the problem. Unless some folks with money get behind the raising, marketing, selling, and processing (the weakest link in the current chain) these products, it is always going to be a small scale hippie venture.

The reason farmworksers make so little is it is back breaking work and only young hippies or migrant workers are willing to do it. But at some point the production of food needs to go to scale and there needs to be locally owned and operated canneries and other processing plants to ensure that increased production can be utilized all year round either through freezing, drying, canning, or cold storage. As long as these products are available for only part of the year, the factory farmed stuff from Mexico and other parts of Latin America will continue to be utilized by consumers wanting specialty (or not) products year round.

Meanwhile there are large corporations that have already gotten into the "green" food market and are undercutting local and small producers. What a weird world we live in.

LouieB