Factors affecting the success of rock albums

I did not read the entire thing yet but it seems a main conclusion is that internal competition plays a big part in commercial success? Seems like that is only true if the musicians are competing to write the most popular "hits" and not just trying to write a song that will impress the other guy. Good songs and commercial success don't necessarily equate. I suppose the research looked at very popular groups like Beatles, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc...

I did not read the entire thing yet but it seems a main conclusion is that internal competition plays a big part in commercial success? Seems like that is only true if the musicians are competing to write the most popular "hits" and not just trying to write a song that will impress the other guy. Good songs and commercial success don't necessarily equate. I suppose the research looked at very popular groups like Beatles, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc...

I know one very important factor in any rock formula: more cowbell!

I didn't read the whole thing either. I noticed that the analysis only looked at popular albums from groups that were formed between 1970 and 1979 (American groups only I think). So... Doobie Bros, Steely Dan, America, Bread, Talking Heads, Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, CSN/Y, and what not. I wonder if Big Star made the radar. Or Little Feat. Or The Ramones. The factors would be a lot more interesting with some actual data!:dontgetit

I didn't read the whole thing either. I noticed that the analysis only looked at popular albums from groups that were formed between 1970 and 1979 (American groups only I think). So... Doobie Bros, Steely Dan, America, Bread, Talking Heads, Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, CSN/Y, and what not. I wonder if Big Star made the radar. Or Little Feat. Or The Ramones. The factors would be a lot more interesting with some actual data!:dontgetit

well, if competition was the big factor it says two things:

1. explains why solo artists from big bands aren't as good on their own (lennon, mccartney, etc.)

2. lack of outside competition allows artists to be half assed and explains the fall of all of these bands into utter shit music as time went on.

I think the article mentioned that 48% of the artists included in the research were American and the other 52% were almost exclusively British artists. At least in terms of U.S. record sales, the article stated that American artists tended to have a greater chance of "success".

Interesting article. I definitely agree though, this would be a lot better with specific data.