Roky Erickson backed by Okkervil River on his new album!

okerrory452.jpg

LINK

Fourteen years after his last album of original material, psych-rock legend and onetime 13th Floor Elevators frontman Roky Erickson is readying a new record called True Love Cast Out All Evil, out April 20 via Anti-. And he got some top-shelf help to bring his songs to life: fellow Austinites Okkervil River back Erickson on the whole LP, and Okkervil frontman Will Sheff produces. The team-up isn't a surprise, since Erickson played with Okkervil River at SXSW in 2008 and 2009.

The album features songs written by Erickson throughout his life, as well as "found-sound and archival recordings culled from Erickson's home videos and recordings made in the Rusk State Hospital for the Criminally Insane," according to a press release. (Erickson spent several years in the hospital in the early 70s, after a drug possession arrest.)

Talking about the record in a press release, Sheff said, "When we started out, I was given sixty unreleased songs to choose from. There were songs written during business setbacks including the Elevators' painful breakup, songs written by Roky while he was incarcerated at Rusk, and a great deal of songs that reminded me of the sense of optimism and romanticism that I think sustained Roky through his worst years and ultimately reunited him, a few years ago, with his son Jegar and his first wife Dana."

Yikes........

LouieB

You got that right Louie, this doesn't sit well on my stomach. After having seen "Your GOnna Miss Me" and catching him live I can't help but feeling like he's getting taken advantage of.

You got that right Louie, this doesn't sit well on my stomach. After having seen "Your GOnna Miss Me" and catching him live I can't help but feeling like he's getting taken advantage of.

You gonna miss me is a monumentally sad movie. Admittedly I think even those who are certifiable have a right to make a living, but I have never gone to see Roky nor would I buy this album. I will leave that to someone else. I am sure he wants to be out there performing at this point, but this is all so sad on some more basic level.

LouieB

Really? When I saw him live he sure seemed into it.

Really? When I saw him live he sure seemed into it.

I mean he seemed into, its just a question of how there is he. I agree with Lou that everyone has the right to make a living I just wonder how much others are profiting off of his pain, same with Daniel Johnson.

I mean he seemed into, its just a question of how there is he. I agree with Lou that everyone has the right to make a living I just wonder how much others are profiting off of his pain, same with Daniel Johnson.

Are they profiting off of his pain, or off of his talent?

I argue that it's the later. And, not knowing the band members, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they are actually fans, who are stoked to be playing with the legend.

Nobody is a fan of the pain; they're fans of the music.

Are they profiting off of his pain, or off of his talent?

I argue that it's the later. And, not knowing the band members, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they are actually fans, who are stoked to be playing with the legend.

Nobody is a fan of the pain; they're fans of the music.

Actually your wrong on the last part. Lots of people LOVE pain, some of these people probably hate music. lol

But seriously your write they are profiting off of his talent, but would they be profiting if he weren't ill? I wasn't trying to say the guys in the band backing him weren't fans, I was mainly referring to his brother who was out of the picture until a few years ago. He is the one who put Roky on the road.

Actually your wrong on the last part. Lots of people LOVE pain, some of these people probably hate music. lol

But seriously your write they are profiting off of his talent, but would they be profiting if he weren't ill? I wasn't trying to say the guys in the band backing him weren't fans, I was mainly referring to his brother who was out of the picture until a few years ago. He is the one who put Roky on the road.

A former bandmate of mine actually had dinner with Roky and his brother the last time that they came through Chicago. (He's friends with Roky's former drummer -- Freddy Krc).

According to his first-hand (albeit, one-time) account of the relationship between Roky and said brother, brother is very protective of Roky. And it was definitely Roky that wanted to start touring again.

Again, this is a one-time meeting, but that was the very strong feeling that he got.

I was amazed watching that documentary. He seemed so completely out of it and could barely function at times, then he would pick up a guitar and he was like a totally different person. And that voice. I would always welcome any new music by him.

The movie says it all, particularly the relationship with the brother which is key to him being able to be back on the road. I am not saying there is anything particularly wrong with him continuing to perform, since I do believe he wants to it, but man, what a painful thing.

I would have gone to see Roky had I been at the Pitchfork he performed at a few years ago, simply because I was there and would be curious to see him. I am not curious enough to see him when he does club dates, but that is just me. I figure most people are going to see him because he is legendary, rather than to see him for the quality of his musicianship. Nothing wrong with that either, but it smacks of voyeurism to me.

OR being willing to back him up because of their admiration for his past work is okay by me too, but I still would not buy it. Certainly everyone has the right to express themselves, but I find it painful. But again that is just me.

If you have not seen the movie, do see it, but it is mostly about mental illness and very little about music.

LouieB

Roky turned in a pretty great set for the taping of A.C.L. that aired a month ago. He seems to be in pretty good spirits and appears to be in the best condition he's been in ages. I'm not sure that Okkervil River is a band well suited to Roky's style of music, but I'll be checking it out regardless.

• 2 months later...

OR being willing to back him up because of their admiration for his past work is okay by me too, but I still would not buy it. Certainly everyone has the right to express themselves, but I find it painful. But again that is just me.

LouieB

I'm not sure that Okkervil River is a band well suited to Roky's style of music, but I'll be checking it out regardless.

The new album is absolutely amazing.

Will Sheff did a brilliant job producing - and Okkervil couldn't have been any more tasteful with Roky's songs.

Album of the year...This is like Time Out of Mind, Bone Machine, etc.

• 8 months later...