Spiders

Hummingbird

--

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue

I Got You

Hoodoo Voodoo

I'm a Wheel

Great show, but I'll let somebody else report. Typical 'seated theatre' crowd, I'd say. We definitely failed the "Jesus, etc" test, but the band gave 100% regardless. I'm not sure this band is even able to give anything less! It was wonderful to see Wilco in my hometown, which I never imagined would happen.. hmm.. yeah, I'll let somebody else talk about it. :lol

Califone were particularly good tonight, I thought!

edit: I should also add that they played for 2 hours and 15 minutes!

Another fantastic show. After Seattle, brilliant to get the full set-list (26 songs including "Spiders" for the first-time in the tour. I had requested "I Got You" so was delighted to hear the opening strains of "Red, Eyed and Blue". Thought the crowd was probably composed more of local folks happy to get a well-known band in their home-town as opposed to die-hard Wilco fans. (Definitely a younger crowd than Seattle.) That said, by the end of the encores tons of people were on their feet. Crowd gave Nels a standing ovation at the end of "Impossible Germany". Jeff said something alone the lines that was the first time Nels had worn sports shoes on stage and you (the crowd) just got dunked. Some nice banter with the crowd overall and Jeff's interactions seemed less forced than in Seattle. Other observations. Encores took the show to a higher level than Seattle. But opening medley of songs didn't quite hit the mark of the previous gig. In Seattle, the extension of "IATTBYH" into "One Wing" and then followed by "Radio Cure" was killer. Fantastic small venue with incredible acoustics. So lucky to be only 7 rows back from the stage. Two great days in Victoria. British Columbia - as beautiful as any part of the Pacific Northwest and with the nicest people.

Beautiful Victoria, and in the rain shadow of the Olympics. It was really nice weather considering what was going on back in Seattle. Just back from the boat not too long ago (the crossing was really rough tonight - lots of people got sick from the huge storm swells in the Strait of Juan de Fuca - I took dramamine before leaving and enjoyed the rocking and rolling) As Jeff said in the show in talking about how Victoria had moved way up their favorite places list: 'you have to take a boat to get here. How good is that?'. Meant positively of course. Of the three shows (Portland, Seattle, Victoria) I saw this past week, I liked Victoria the best. The crowd did a nice job of welcoming the band with a standing ovation right when they entered, and Jeff seemed pleased. The sound quality was by far the best of the three venues. The setlist was really great and wasn't shut down by an 11 PM venue curfew, like Seattle. What a finish, with I Got You, Hoodoo Voodoo, and I'm a Wheel. Seattle far and away won the Jesus, etc. test, and you could tell that some of the Victoria crowd didn't know alot of the songs, but people were into it. More should've stood up on certain songs where it was a mix of standing and sitting. Jeff had complimented Portland for figuring out knowing when to stand and sit 'all by yourselves'. But it was a great show anyway, and man, the sound quality and energy of the band were incredible. Here are a few photos, starting with one of the beautiful Parliament Building - then to the show:

13_Feb_09_011a.jpg

13_Feb_09_040a.jpg

13_Feb_09_065a.jpg

13_Feb_09_030a.jpg

13_Feb_09_046a.jpg

13_Feb_09_020a.jpg

Great picutes -- but that one of Jeff with the purple back is scarey -- the purple, his dark clothes, crazy black hair and blues eyues... looks like he's saying, "Good Evening .. welcome to the Vampire's Lair -- moo-aa ha ha ha haaaa...."

More of the fault of the subject, not the photographer. Great pictures.

Great picutes -- but that one of Jeff with the purple back is scarey -- the purple, his dark clothes, crazy black hair and blues eyues... looks like he's saying, "Good Evening .. welcome to the Vampire's Lair -- moo-aa ha ha ha haaaa...."

He was looking directly at me, that's my favorite shot. It's hard to take warm and cuddly pictures of Jeff, but that's not 'a fault' of the subject wink.gif

That photo was from Hummingbird done with the caberet singer approach, and then a little Roger Daltry flourish near the end (mic twirl and 'catch'.) Here's a couple more that you may find more soothing barbkm:

13_Feb_09_001a.JPG

13_Feb_09_051a.jpg

Those are realy cool pictures. I reaaly like the orange sillouette one.

I've just started trying to take nice photos, but have not figured on the 35 mm yet. I assume that's what you use?

Beautiful Victoria, and in the rain shadow of the Olympics. It was really nice weather considering what was going on back in Seattle. Just back from the boat not too long ago (the crossing was really rough tonight - lots of people got sick from the huge storm swells in the Strait of Juan de Fuca - I took dramamine before leaving and enjoyed the rocking and rolling) As Jeff said in the show in talking about how Victoria had moved way up their favorite places list: 'you have to take a boat to get here. How good is that?'. Meant positively of course.

Of the three shows (Portland, Seattle, Victoria) I saw this past week, I liked Victoria the best. The crowd did a nice job of welcoming the band with a standing ovation right when they entered, and Jeff seemed pleased. The sound quality was by far the best of the three venues. The setlist was really great and wasn't shut down by an 11 PM venue curfew, like Seattle. What a finish, with I Got You, Hoodoo Voodoo, and I'm a Wheel.

Seattle far and away won the Jesus, etc. test, and you could tell that some of the Victoria crowded didn't know alot of the songs, but people were into it. More should've stood up on certain songs where it was a mix of standing and sitting. Jeff had complimented Portland for figuring out knowing when to stand and sit 'all by yourselves'. But it was a great show anyway, and man, the sound quality and energy of the band were incredible.

Here are a few photos, starting with one of the beautiful Parliment Building - then to the show:

Thanks for the pics which are excellent. Thanks a lot for sharing. The one of the Parliament building is a beauty. I took a few photos and though not up to your standard the close the colours illuminated behind the band really enhance them. Re: your post in a separate thread - I really dig the set and lighting. I was close to the front for both the shows and wonder if it looked even better further back. Sad that it's going probably going to be sometime before I see Wilco again. I think the people going to the "Evening With Wilco" shows in the spring are in for a treat.

Yes, thanks for sharing those beautiful shots, SeattleC!

I'm so glad this Trans Canada tour began at Mile 0. Victoria has always been a romantic B&B weekend get-away destination for those of us on the Mainland, but it was great to visit for a concert. Great venue. Lovely people. Amazing show. The guy sitting behind me gave me hell for standing during Broken Arrow (sorry!), but it just felt wrong to sit during a Neil song - kind of like the national anthem, you know?

Been too busy this past weekend to post until now (currently sipping a beer at YVR, waiting for a flight to Paris), but that Victoria show was everything I've been dreaming of for... well, a decade, I guess. It was so surreal seeing the guys finally play my hometown, they could have done any setlist and I would have been smitten. I was nervous going in about the Victoria crowd, but I thought overall we did pretty good. I was in the second row behind a group of four young-ish dudes, all with the same swoopy little side-part, same glasses, same legs-crossed position... They were motionless the entire show until Tweedy called them out and asked if they were "____'s friends" -- he might have said Marcel Marceau? I dunno. Anyway. I can't believe it had been nearly five years since I saw the band. I got pretty emotional during both "Misunderstood" and "Hummingbird" (the latter song means worlds to me), and even "I Got You", which has never been one of my faves, seemed perfect in the moment ("I got you and it's all I need").

I waited around after the show and met the band for the first time -- all except Jeff, who never came out. That was a bit disappointing, since I would have really liked to say how much that show meant to me, and how unfuckingbelievably fitting it was for my last weekend in Victoria. But alas. Glenn seemed genuinely happy for me, and he asked me a ton of questions about my plans.

I honestly haven't listened to that much Wilco over the past few years, but my God, what a band. I think I might have finally "got" SBS!

It's a fantastic photograph. He looks like a wolf.