Miles Kurosky 3/24/10

What a fun show! I love Beulah but don't really know anything about Miles outside of his music. Turns out he's a pretty funny dude.

I think he played everything from the new album (I'm terrible at remembering set lists) plus a few Beulah tunes. "Landslide Baby," "Popular Mechanics for Lovers" and "Emma Blowgun's Last Stand" were played in their entirety. He tried playing other Beulah songs but just couldn't remember them. The result: the audience shouting out songs and Miles playing a couple of verses (with cues from the audience on the lyrics). At one point he quipped: "I'm going to ask an honest question: Do you guys think I should know how to play these?"

Another funny moment: "Handsome Western States. That's a piece of shit." He then joked about how rich that album made him and how he could show us pictures of all the great things it allowed him to buy.

He also said he didn't really want to tour but felt he owed it to the record label. And that he wasn't really as much of a dick as he seemed in "A Good Band Is Easy To Kill" but that the movie showed the three minutes he was really cranky.

Anyway, here's my feeble attempt at rock photography with an iPhone:

4462695580_891b5862a6.jpg

I caught the show last night (3/26) at the Mercury Lounge in New York, and I'm so glad I did. It was the early show and Miles kept looking at his watch, so I'm not sure how much of his usual set was curtailed by time limits. But in any case, it was wonderful to hear what we did...

We fortunate to be graced with the presence of a two-piece horn section, so there were I think a total of eight players on stage at one point. It was terrific to hear "Emma Blowgun's Last Stand" with the horns, of course. Crazily enough, right before they launched into the song, there was a girl standing front and center who I guess had her arms sort of crossed and Miles asked if she was having a good time and then asked what her name was. Emma, of course. He insisted she wasn't a plant.

As far as other Beulah stuff, they also did "Popular Mechanics for Lovers" and then for the encore, Miles did a really nice solo version of "You're Only King Once" with some lyric help from the audience. He said it was his favorite of those "other" songs (haha), and that he hadn't played it in like six years. :thumbup

I hadn't heard much of the new record prior to the show, so I think it will take me a little time to get into those songs but I liked the stuff he played, especially "I Can't Swim."

The other funny bit of banter -- there was a good amount -- that I can remember was that Miles thanked us for not going to see Spoon (who were playing at Radio City Music Hall). He said something like, "They'll be back...and back...and back again. I'm not coming back this year. I've got plenty to do at home." The bass player added that one of his friends was in New York visiting from San Francisco but said sorry she couldn't come to their show because she was going to see Spoon. :lol

Anyway, a fun (although too short) show. Definitely worth catching when they come to your town! :dancing