History of Rock for a 5 year old

Actually as far as I can tell the college radio stations are about all that is happening these days.

LouieB

Maybe it depends on the time of day, but when I listen to the oldies AM station here, they really only play songs from the 70s and 80s. That is about the only radio I will listen to, outside of the BBC online.

There is a station in Pittsburgh that plays Doo-wop and 50s music. It is pretty cool, but I don't see how they stay in business.

I actually tuned in to the college station here for the first time in years the other day. I did not like what I heard, but that is mostly due to the fact that I really only like to listen to so-called old music.

I would think some of those songs for kids would not go over so well if the parental units actually heard the lyrics.

And it does seem odd to me that what use to be called the "devil's music" is now considered music for kids.

(I am thinking of songs such as Good Golly Miss Molly.)

Maybe it depends on the time of day, but when I listen to the oldies AM station here, they really only play songs from the 70s and 80s. That is about the only radio I will listen to, outside of the BBC online.

There is a station in Pittsburgh that plays Doo-wop and 50s music. It is pretty cool, but I don't see how they stay in business.

I actually tuned in to the college station here for the first time in years the other day. I did not like what I heard, but that is mostly due to the fact that I really only like to listen to so-called old music.

I would think some of those songs for kids would not go over so well if the parental units actually heard the lyrics.

And it does seem odd to me that what use to be called the "devil's music" is now considered music for kids.

(I am thinking of songs such as Good Golly Miss Molly.)

All interesting points, but most music from the 70s and 80s wouldn't seem to be oldies, but then I suppose they are pretty darned old at this point.

Rosie's show (actually on right now on WDBX.org) is called the Devil's Radio for that reason. Of course so much of the backlash regarding all youth oriented music (early jazz, some blues, swing, R&B, rock and roll, soul, rock, etc. etc) would certainly be considered devils music and yea, plenty on the list would seem to be about sex, etc. Even Wake Up Little Susie by the Everly Brothers could be considered questionable content, but then extending that to just about any music that race music would certainly be objectionable to some parents at some point during some period. Even now the content of most rap music isn't the kind of thing that most parents would want children listening to. Heck I had friends who used to let their little kids go to sleep to Eminem (they are adults now of course...)

In the case of many of ths songs on these lists/CDs would clearly be music that was specifically aimed at teens. Yea, certainly most of the songs listed from the 50s and early 60s were stuff I was listening to as a kid and NOT something my parents would listen to. The Beatles somewhat broke through that but they were still initally a kid oriented act. I mean what was all that screaming about??

Sometimes I am just amazed at how those groups which we now revere as the greatest things ever (the Monkees...please..not even close to aimed at adults...) were completely marketed to teens and pre-teens. I think it is cool that somehow what they did managed to blur all kinds of cultural lines, but ultimately the Kinks, CCR, and certainly the Beach Boys were not adult music. (Adults at that point and even more sophisticated older teens were listening to jazz and folk music during the 50s and early 60s.)

LouieB

All interesting points, but most music from the 70s and 80s wouldn't seem to be oldies, but then I suppose they are pretty darned old at this point.

Rosie's show (actually on right now on WDBX.org) is called the Devil's Radio for that reason. Of course so much of the backlash regarding all youth oriented music (early jazz, some blues, swing, R&B, rock and roll, soul, rock, etc. etc) would certainly be considered devils music and yea, plenty on the list would seem to be about sex, etc. Even Wake Up Little Susie by the Everly Brothers could be considered questionable content, but then extending that to just about any music that race music would certainly be objectionable to some parents at some point during some period. Even now the content of most rap music isn't the kind of thing that most parents would want children listening to. Heck I had friends who used to let their little kids go to sleep to Eminem (they are adults now of course...)

In the case of many of ths songs on these lists/CDs would clearly be music that was specifically aimed at teens. Yea, certainly most of the songs listed from the 50s and early 60s were stuff I was listening to as a kid and NOT something my parents would listen to. The Beatles somewhat broke through that but they were still initally a kid oriented act. I mean what was all that screaming about??

Sometimes I am just amazed at how those groups which we now revere as the greatest things ever (the Monkees...please..not even close to aimed at adults...) were completely marketed to teens and pre-teens. I think it is cool that somehow what they did managed to blur all kinds of cultural lines, but ultimately the Kinks, CCR, and certainly the Beach Boys were not adult music. (Adults at that point and even more sophisticated older teens were listening to jazz and folk music during the 50s and early 60s.)

LouieB

That is true, there are all sorts of age variations. I think the Oldies station here, which is broadcast from somewhere else, mainly plays 60s music on the weekends.

I actually tuned in to the college station here for the first time in years the other day. I did not like what I heard...

I frequently tune in to WRAS/88.5 here in Atlanta hoping to hear something new and exciting, but every time I tune in they're playing goofy electronic music. I can't stand that kind of stuff. Is that what college kids like these days?

Back to topic:

The Nashville Teens: Tobacco Road

I frequently tune in to WRAS/88.5 here in Atlanta hoping to hear something new and exciting, but every time I tune in they're playing goofy electronic music. I can't stand that kind of stuff. Is that what college kids like these days?

^

^

^

how you know that you're getting old.

(oh, and I feel the same way about said electronic drones)

^

^

^

how you know that you're getting old.

(oh, and I feel the same way about said electronic drones)

Yeah, I'm getting old, but I didn't like goofy electronic music when I was a kid, either.

I like drums, guitars, pianos, etc.

Back to topic:

The Nashville Teens: Tobacco Road

We have a good community radio station here in Bloomington, but I never listen because their show lineup is so varied, I never know what I'm going to hear. From Hop-Hop to bluegrass to GLBT News to radio drama to Jazz and something called "Mad Scientist Rock." and my taste aren't that varied!

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Here's another one I added.

Herman's Hermits - I'm Into Something Good

Yeah, I'm getting old, but I didn't like goofy electronic music when I was a kid, either.

I like drums, guitars, pianos, etc.

Yeah, but now you complain about it like an old man.

42-17988307.jpg

(I try not to, but I do too.)

We have a good community radio station here in Bloomington, but I never listen because their show lineup is so varied, I never know what I'm going to hear. From Hop-Hop to bluegrass to GLBT News to radio drama to Jazz and something called "Mad Scientist Rock." and my taste aren't that varied!

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Here's another one I added.

Herman's Hermits - I'm Into Something Good

I am trying to recall if I have a memory of music that far back (age five).

I believe it would be the following - various Beatles Capitol 45s, Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko Bop, Reach Out (I'll Be There), and The Beach Boys (Little Deuce Coupe and Today).

When I was 6, it would have been School's Out, and Smoke On The Water.

How scary is this....when I was 5 rock and roll was brand fucking new. I do remember some of it, but my radio days started more around the time I was a bit older (8-10) when top 40 was the rule and songs got played in rotation so often they were burned into ones brain. At 5 I was listening to 78s my parents had or had gotten me, such as Disney stuff or Tubby the Tuba. Getting box hi fi was a big step forward so we could play LPs such as folk music (Kingston Trio etc.) and show tunes (many of which I still can sing by heart.)

There are some types of techo I like quite alot. What I don't like is any music that has NO identifiable real instruments, stuff that is nearly all computer generated such as some types of trance, etc.

LouieB

Oldies radio ain't what it used to be, at least in Boston. Was a time in the late 80s/early 90s you could hear Chuck Berry on two major stations here. Now, those two stations, supposedly still in the same 'oldies' format, play nothing older than ABBA.

Oldies radio ain't what it used to be, at least in Boston. Was a time in the late 80s/early 90s you could hear Chuck Berry on two major stations here. Now, those two stations, supposedly still in the same 'oldies' format, play nothing older than ABBA.

Which to my mind is what is really "classic rock".

LouieB

Which to my mind is what is really "classic rock".

LouieB

The format has definitely changed. I don't think most people my age (mid-40s) would want to hear songs from the 50s, or 60s really, they would probably rather hear Huey Lewis and The News tunes.

We have a so-called Classic Rock station here, and I think they play heavier stuff (Boston, AC/DC, etc.)

I still think it depends on the time of day. I mean, it's not like disc jockeys really choose the songs anymore, it's all automatic by way of a computer system.