The Rocksteady Thread

I really don't have anything to say about it, except that I love this music. And I thought that there should be a place around here that is dedicated to this group of artists... rocksteady and Rude Boy and whatnot.

My favorite albums of the genre (and really the only ones that I know at all:

51DEVFHNl5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41DTNZR7EQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Plus I know a couple of Desmond Dekker songs here and there.

But I know that there is some interest around here so therefore... let's see if we can get any chatter going around here.

EDIT:

And, I just bought this on Amazon:

419CE6J016L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looking forward to hearing it.

EDIT:

And, I just bought this on Amazon:

Looking forward to hearing it.

Is that the deluxe version?

If you enjoy that you should get Struggling Man next.

Also, i think i've said this before, but Monkey Man is the other great Toots & The Maytals album worth getting your hands on. If you get that version i've linked you to it's got a whole bunch of bonus tracks - some you'll already have, but a lot you won't (if you've never heard Monkey Girl - for example - you're really missing out. actually all those bonus tracks are incredible, and that's not even taking into account the fantastic album you get as well).

You'll probably find it very hard to find any good Desmond Dekker albums. They are available on amazon/ebay etc... but they're out of print - so people charge a fortune. It's Desmond Dekker & The Aces that you wanna look out for. I found This on amazon for you, it's very expensive - but, you do get 2 albums there. It's actually the album Action! and the album Intensified - not that they tell you that on the site, but it is (from looking at the track list).

Have you ever thought about getting into The Upsetters? Perhaps The Upsetter (that's a great album) or Return of Django (probably the most famous of their albums), or just get a compilation - This One looks like it's got everything on it. Although you've gotta get an mp3 or something of this track -

- it's my favourite Upsetters track, and it's on the album Eastwood Rides Again. (I love their constant Cowboy references!)

The end!

Is that the deluxe version?

If you enjoy that you should get Struggling Man next.

Also, i think i've said this before, but Monkey Man is the other great Toots & The Maytals album worth getting your hands on. If you get that version i've linked you to it's got a whole bunch of bonus tracks - some you'll already have, but a lot you won't (if you've never heard Monkey Girl - for example - you're really missing out. actually all those bonus tracks are incredible, and that's not even taking into account the fantastic album you get as well).

You'll probably find it very hard to find any good Desmond Dekker albums. They are available on amazon/ebay etc... but they're out of print - so people charge a fortune. It's Desmond Dekker & The Aces that you wanna look out for. I found This on amazon for you, it's very expensive - but, you do get 2 albums there. It's actually the album Action! and the album Intensified - not that they tell you that on the site, but it is (from looking at the track list).

Have you ever thought about getting into The Upsetters? Perhaps The Upsetter (that's a great album) or Return of Django (probably the most famous of their albums), or just get a compilation - This One looks like it's got everything on it. Although you've gotta get an mp3 or something of this track -

- it's my favourite Upsetters track, and it's on the album Eastwood Rides Again. (I love their constant Cowboy references!)

The end!

Just arrived in the mail. It has 7 bonus tracks, but I don't believe it to be an actual "Deluxe" edition.

Still... looking forward to this!

Joss pointed me to this thread after my post in the NP thread:

Desmond-Dekker-007-Shanty-Town-505101.jpg murvinpolicedeluxecd%5Bekm%5D331x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Desmond Dekker & The Aces - 007 Shanty Town

Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves (Deluxe Edition)

I've been spinning these today. The Desmond Dekker is his first record finally reissued on CD. Highly recommend for any rocksteady fans, not a bad track in the bunch.

I've had the regular CD release of the Junior Murvin record for ages, broke down and bought this deluxe edtion recently. It's one of my fave reggae records so I couldn't resist. Now if they'd only do a deluxe editon of this great record:

max_romeo_and_the_upsetters_-_war_in_babylon-front1.jpg

It's not exactly clear to me where rocksteady ends and reggae begins.

The ska/rocksteady separation seems more clear, as the beats were slowed down.

But, if you were to quiz me on "identify the genre" by listening to the song, I don't think I'd do too well, but I'm a huge fan of ska/rocksteady/rockers/reggae/dub.

It's not exactly clear to me where rocksteady ends and reggae begins.

The ska/rocksteady separation seems more clear, as the beats were slowed down.

But, if you were to quiz me on "identify the genre" by listening to the song, I don't think I'd do too well, but I'm a huge fan of ska/rocksteady/rockers/reggae/dub.

lucky for us, Bob Marley explains here:

that's if you can understand him