I'm with Cryptique. Bad luck is part of any competition, and "better than he is" presumes the competition occurs in perfect conditions, which is never the case. This seems on par with a runner's racing flat coming untied in competition - would you expect the other runners to jog in place while s/he tied it again?

I agree as well but the similar example would be more like: The runners flat comes untied, everyone else in the race jogs in place to let them tie it, and you take off like a bat out of hell to win the race. Not sure it would feel all that great to win in that situation.

(yes, but...cycling's rules of the race in the tdf are unlike any other sport and can't be explained or rationalized using analogy b/c then they just look silly outside the context and history of this particular race.)

(yes, but...the "it's a Tour de France thing, you wouldn't understand" argument doesn't really do anything to make such unwritten rules seem more sensible or appealing.) :P

As stated previously, yup, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :cheers

Rest day today! One more mountain stage, a flat stage, then the time trial!

I'm hoping Leipheimer can claw his way onto the podium via the time trial. He's one of the best in the world at that discipline.

As for his better-known teammate ... well, this video does a pretty good job of explaining why I feel the way I do about him.

To the tune of Hummingbird:

"Andy Schleck, on a mountain

And on Contador's wheel, he will ride away and climb them"

That's all, except that I think it is great to see Cadel Evans still battling on. "the rainbow jersey can't give up".

That's all, except that I think it is great to see Cadel Evans still battling on. "the rainbow jersey can't give up".

i love seeing the individual jerseys giving the riders who don them almost a superhuman desire/will to defend/honor that particular jersey.

I'm hoping Leipheimer can claw his way onto the podium via the time trial. He's one of the best in the world at that discipline.

As for his better-known teammate ... well, this video does a pretty good job of explaining why I feel the way I do about him.

i'd like to see levi do that too.

and, come on with jumping to a conclusion based on that video...seriously?

and, come on with jumping to a conclusion based on that video...seriously?

Oh, I've disliked Lance for a long time. This video is just more fuel on that fire.