MGMT: Congratulations

I know this album has been out for a little while now, but I've just started to really soak it in.

First of all, I really admire how they strayed away from the poppy radio friendly sound and made a very artistic record. It's a very bold move because MGMT was made famous by songs like "Kids" and "Time To Pretend", and for them to go in the opposite direction so early in their career is pretty risky. You won't find anything close to "Kids" on this album, so those radio friendly fans will be using it as a beer coaster. But again, I really admire that about them and in my opinion this is a much better record than their first.

It's a great late night driving record. The whole 70's psychedelic sound reminds me a little of Pink Floyd. The twelve minute long "Siberian Breaks" is epic...

If you haven't heard it yet, I'd suggest giving it a listen. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Ah, so your opinions are varied.

2 likes, 2 hates, and one love it. :)

I personally love it.. But it had to grow on me.. I'm always very open when I first listen to music and usually like just about anything I listen to the first time... Then when an album starts to soak in, I either start to hate it or I start to love it.... This album has definitely been a grower and it gets better every time I listen... "Siberian Breaks"... just.... wow.... the ending especially. :thumbup

Ah, so your opinions are varied.

2 likes, 2 hates, and one love it. :)

I personally love it.. But it had to grow on me.. I'm always very open when I first listen to music and usually like just about anything I listen to the first time... Then when an album starts to soak in, I either start to hate it or I start to love it.... This album has definitely been a grower and it gets better every time I listen... "Siberian Breaks"... just.... wow.... the ending especially. :thumbup

The problem with giant blizzards are that you have no idea where the hell you're going. I'm don't like nor do I dislike it. But I appreciate that they took a daring step.