Elton John/Leon Russell collaboration

Heard the first single from the Elton John/Leon Russell collab. "If it Wasn't For Bad" (I think that's the name).

I liked it a lot. Sounds to me like a return to form to Elton. Take that for what it's worth, but I am going to check out the album.

Hope that the rest of it is as good as the single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKip4r_o4bo

Anyway, I thought that this topic was good for it's own thread. Might have enough intersest.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

If this was 20 years ago this would be sort of exciting. Now it barely makes a ripple for me.

LouieB

Good music is good music. And, like I said, I do like this single. Have you heard it? What do you think, timetables aside?

I am sure it is a fine collaboration. I have not bought either an Elton John LP or a Leon Russell LP (and I do mean LP since I was listening to both when they came out during the 60s and 70s.) in decades. Its an okay song, not that great really.

I can say this...it is nice that the multi-billionaire Elton John is helping out the less rich Leon Russell (since he still plays club dates to what are probably half empty clubs these days..) so for that alone it is cool. Hearing from these old vets is cool, but buying their songs...I doubt it.

As for timetables, see my Numero Group thread, (which also dropped like a rock). The album mentioned in that is totally obscure material from groups that disappeared decades ago and are getting a revival. I like THAT stuff. This is only mediocre from a couple of guys who were great.

LouieB

I am sure it is a fine collaboration. I have not bought either an Elton John LP or a Leon Russell LP (and I do mean LP since I was listening to both when they came out during the 60s and 70s.) in decades. Its an okay song, not that great really.

I can say this...it is nice that the multi-billionaire Elton John is helping out the less rich Leon Russell (since he still plays club dates to what are probably half empty clubs these days..) so for that alone it is cool. Hearing from these old vets is cool, but buying their songs...I doubt it.

As for timetables, see my Numero Group thread, (which also dropped like a rock). The album mentioned in that is totally obscure material from groups that disappeared decades ago and are getting a revival. I like THAT stuff. This is only mediocre from a couple of guys who were great.

LouieB

Nor have I bought an Elton or Leon LP in about 25 years or so. (But they were already in the bargain bins at that point.) Still, I gotta say that I do like this song. And, I will check out the Numero Group thread. Thanks to our wonderful search function, would you mind posting a hyperlink to that one here? Let's broaden this discussion.

Nor have I bought an Elton or Leon LP in about 25 years or so. (But they were already in the bargain bins at that point.) Still, I gotta say that I do like this song. And, I will check out the Numero Group thread. Thanks to our wonderful search function, would you mind posting a hyperlink to that one here? Let's broaden this discussion.

Just on Page 2....and not that interesting to anyone anyway...

but admittedly the song stuck with me for about half an hour..then poof.....

LouieB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXJ93UMrL2E

And Elton playing You're Never Too Old. I'm not sure if my father has the mp3 of this or just the above live solo Elton version.

To LouisB: Yep, you're right. My father went to see Leon in February of this year at a local venue that is rather small (seats 200-400 depending on GA or seats) in Londonderry, NH at Tupelo's. He said that he was pretty great and sadly only played for an hour.

My dad is pretty excited to see Elton & Leon in NYC this October at the Beacon. I guess they're also doing a show out in Los Angeles at the Palladium. The excitement stems from hopefully getting something different out of Elton live. He's been on a "greatest hits" cruise control for a long time. Plus, there may only be two shows done like this. I bet AMEX or someone will broadcast one of the shows. I think the NYC date is the same day that the album comes out. Edit: Yeah, it is on October 19th.

To Vacant Horizon: Yes, Elton played at the "thingy" in January that was a tribute to Neil Young. Ah yes, the MusiCares Person Of The Year. Leon Russell joined Elton on Helpless and WIlco did Broken Arrow.

To LouisB: Yep, you're right. My father went to see Leon in February of this year at a local venue that is rather small (seats 200-400 depending on GA or seats) in Londonderry, NH at Tupelo's. He said that he was pretty great and sadly only played for an hour.

Yea, and how many of those 200-400 seats were filled?

Guys like your father and me will always be Leon fans, because he wrote great songs back in the day and backed up some pretty terrific musicians at the time. But playing one hour is very sad.

But when we have a stack of old Leon albums, why buy something new? The old albums fill the nostalgia for him that any new material can't fill. (and frankly I listened to those albums quite alot back in the day, as well as MadDogs and Englishman, Bonnie and Delaney, watching the river flow, etc. New material can't ever match that.

LouieB

Speaking of Leon Russell and how old he is.....

I picked up a bunch of old 45s at the local Salvation Army and am listening to them today and one is Garry Lewis and the Playboys doing This Diamond Ring (written partially by Al Kooper of course...and running 2 minutes and 5 seconds) and Leon Russell is credited with the arrangement. Also he is credited with arranging an partially writing and arranging the B side Tijuana Wedding, which is a La Bamba riff. Gotta give the guy his props for his past work.

(Also unrelated to Leon...Red Rubber Ball by the Cyrkle, partially written by Paul Simon and arranged by John Simon.)

LouieB

I dig quite a bit of the 70s output of these two great musicians, but this new one didn't grab me after first listen. I'll have to give it another go later on, sometimes you just have to be in the right mood before something takes hold.

Talking about mature piano men, I quite like Dr. John's new disc, at least he's still making good music :).

Just heard the John/Russell song on the radio at lunch a couple of minutes ago. I thought that, with all these people whose opinions I respect not digging it, that I would see the true nature of its not-goodness, too.

Sorry.

It's still good.

I still like it.

I dig quite a bit of the 70s output of these two great musicians, but this new one didn't grab me after first listen. I'll have to give it another go later on, sometimes you just have to be in the right mood before something takes hold.

Talking about mature piano men, I quite like Dr. John's new disc, at least he's still making good music :).

Actually Dr. John is a guy who is getting LESS jive with age. I have not heard his new one, but he seems to be more sincere as he grows older. Kudos to him. With the passing of those who were his influence he is now the elder statesman of New Orleans rock.

LouieB

Somewhat strange news considering Elton & Leon are playing NYC on October 19th.

T-Bone Burnett's The Speaking Clock Revue

October 16th at the Wang Center in Boston

October 20th at the Beacon Theater in NYC.

Performances by Leon Russell & Elton John, John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello, Gregg Allman, Ralph Stanley, Jeff Bridges, Punch Brothers, Karen Elson, & The Secret Sisters. Plus, in Boston only Neko Case & in NYC only Jim James from My Morning Jacket.

Tickets on sale Monday September 27th at where else.

Okay, so I didn't exactly dis this song or these artists. Actually I heard the new "single" from this collaboration on WXRT yesterday and kind of dug it. It isn't a great song, but it does have a modertately catchy tune and good arrangement (which considering it has three great arrangers involved it better), but frankly the words are pretty mediocre. But again the tune does sort of stick with you for awhile.

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...