Elton John/Leon Russell collaboration

This new album is getting a ton of PR, which is exactly what one would expect with Elton involved. It is certainly good for Leon, no matter how good the actual album is.

LouieB

I haven't listened to the whole album yet, but I am actually going to catch one of their shows in November, so I'll give you guys a full report.

I haven't listened to the whole album yet, but I am actually going to catch one of their shows in November, so I'll give you guys a full report.

Their show should be really fun I would think. It would be a good opportunity to see Elton in a smaller venue not acting like the big show biz figure.

LouieB

Their show should be really fun I would think. It would be a good opportunity to see Elton in a smaller venue not acting like the big show biz figure.

Believe it or not, it won't be a very small venue, at least not here in Florida. The place I'm seeing them holds around 10 or 11K. Still, the seats are very good, so that makes up for it.

LouieB

I've seen Elton with his percussionist Ray Cooper at UMass Amherst's small venue way back in 1993. He played a lot of rarities and was still amazing to see in that type of setting.

Don't forget that if your cable provider carries Fuse tune in on Tuesday night to watch Elton & Leon's concert from NYC. It is supposed to run for 2 hours, so it may be the whole show.

I'm not 100% sold that they are actually airing it because today they had the "Sexiest Videos" and something called "Eminem Takeover" that ran for like 12 hours. I'm not entirely sure how those 2 guys fit into their programming. :unsure

Oh, and I listened to the 1st half hour of the Union on that NPR site. I like it. The last song that I listened to had Neil Young on it. I'm not sure if that is the same song with Brian Wilson?

There's quite a few very nice videos from last night's T-Bone Burnett Speaking Clock Revue on youtube. My father said that the first 2 hours of the show was everyone except for Elton & Leon. They came out after the intermission and played for about 45 minutes. They did 7 songs off of The Union and had no special guests from the large lineup during their set. Edit: Correction. Gregg Allman came out for Gone To Shiloh to do Neil Young's part. That video is also on youtube.

I think Mellencamp and Costello were together for a bit. And on one of the youtube videos already posted, Gregg Allman and Neko Case did Midnight Rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urvRhnnRV8w&feature=related

Edit Part Two: Boston Herald Review

• 1 month later...

I finally caught a show on this tour last night. I'm too tired to post much about it (and had a very busy day writing already at work, anyway), but needless to say, it was very heartwarming. Elton really lifted this guy back up out of obscurity in a way, and you can see it's really helped him. They played a bunch of the album, and of course Elton did a ton of his own stuff. Non-hit highlights: Burn Down The Mission and Take Me To The Pilot.

• 2 months later...

Elton & Leon to perform on Letterman Wednesday night February 9th.

A bit odd considering this record came out last October. Oh well, this should be interesting for folks that missed out on the live broadcast of their 3 hour show on Fuse from NYC's Beacon Theater .