Richard M. Daley

As many bad mistakes (i.e. parking meters) as the guy has made, I can't help but like him. I think he's done a lot of good for the city, especially in the realms of tourism, beautification, and bikability...and I always get the sense that he really loves Chicago and wants it to be the best city in the world.

At any rate, curious to hear people's thoughts on his legacy and who might replace him. I hear Rahm Emmanuel is the biggest name out there being thrown around, but who knows.

Guest Speed Racer

Oh god, that would certainly be scary. Rahm is definitely a smart man, but I don't think he'd be a very good mayor.

I was always fond of Daley growing up. Quite a character, and I'll be sad to see him go.

Not from the region, so no real opinion of Daley other than recognizing the name.

They need a major shake up, so getting Rahm out of the White House would be a good thing imo. This would give him cover for leaving without it looking like he was given the boot.

I love how OTM starts a thread about Mayor Daley from Burkina Faso :lol

And this was definitely surprising. While many people do not like him, they generally cannot deny that he has done quite a bit for the city.

He has done a lot and was never afraid to act, which I appreciate. But don't forget, it's not hard to "do a lot" when you spend money you don't have.

Chicago's budget problems (like most municipalities') are relatively recent.

Remember Richard J Daley?? I do. Richie certainly out did him.

No one who has lived here for awhile (or forever) could not have a love/hate relationship with the guy. The last 20 years have transformed this city, but he did it with a certain amount of vision and a whole bunch of back room deals. Whp knows what happens next, but the guy sure knew how to run things, although never democratically.

LouieB

i kind of love the new meters!

in any case, i always thought he was a great lover of the city.

Funny I was talking about Daley with someone yesterday and they said the same thing (re:meters). They are more convenient, I just wish the city was making the money off them.

Who ever replaces Daley is screwed though due to the budget, which is why I think Rahm won't be running for the position (plus I don't want him here anyway).

I definitely think the new meters are more convenient, I just think its silly that the money is going to a private company and not the city.

Welcome to future, everything will privatized.

• 5 months later...