Further Media Sightings

No one mentioned this (that I saw, anyway), but a few weeks ago the boys made the Newsweek Perspectives page.

"'His tastes trend more towards Wilco and the Killers, but...he'll take support anywhere he can get it.' Jim Manley, a spokesman for Harry Reid, on Lady Gaga pushing the Senate majority leader to bring up 'don't ask, don't tell' for a vote."

I thought Newsweek was out of print. Years ago they brought in Jon Meacham, a bible-toting conservative, who drove the magazine into the ground by making 'religion' a regular cover story.

Newsweek is up for sale--it may have been sold already, not sure--but it's very much in print and has been continually. As to whether Jon Meacham "failed," well, I don't know. This is a tough time for magazines generally and especially for a newsweekly. But I've been subscribing to Time and Newsweek for years and I don't see any significant difference between the two in terms of editorial leanings. (Why do I keep up with both subscriptions? Just crazy, but they keep offering hard-to-pass-up renewal deals.) Jon Meacham writes about religion and the founding fathers, etc., but not--so far as I can discern--from a bible totin' perspective.

And yes, I did see that piece in perspectives, but I was too stunned to hear that Harry Reid was a Wilco fan to react!