awful. recently i ran into billy at the superchunk show, and then later at the teenage fanclub show...he said he was gonna be in touch about something he could use a photographer for...i guess i'll never find out what he was planning.

total force in the boston music scene, and truly one of a kind.

gerard cosloy and others pay tribute:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/remembering-the-human-tornado-that-was-billy-ruane

I've seen a bunch of tributes on line today but that's one of the nicest (with the exception of the one a-hole).

I think most people remember the first time they met (or saw) Billy. For me it was in the late 1980s at the Rat and he pogoed through the crowd, with drinks in both hands, got up on stage, twirled around and then went back through the crowd. When we left the place, he was out front handing out flyers for some show he was promoting. I remember talking to people the next day and everyone just kept saying, "oh sure - that's Billy."

similar story here - no recollection of what year but it was a buffalo tom show in the 90s i'm sure - he just jumped up onstage between encores and started screaming into the mic - i just remember thinking - 'why is no one throwing this nut out?" so many great memories and so many great tributes online - a true original. :cheers