R.I.P. Irvin Kershner

Via MTV News:

Irvin Kershner, best known for directing the "Star Wars" sequel "The Empire Strikes Back," has died at the age of 87.

The filmmaker passed away at his Los Angeles home after a long bout with an unspecified illness, his goddaughter Adriana Santini told French news service AFP on Monday.

Born in 1923 in Philadelphia, Kershner studied music, painting and photography before turning his focus to filmmaking in the early 1950s. He got his start directing documentaries in Iran, Greece and Turkey for the United States Information Service, then returned to the States to develop the TV series "Confidential File" and "The Rebel."

Kershner made his feature directorial debut with "Stakeout on Dope Street" in 1958 and went on to direct a number of well-known films, including 1960's "Hoodlum Priest" and 1966's "A Fine Madness," starring Sean Connery and Joanne Woodward.

In 1980, Kershner directed "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back," the sequel to George Lucas's 1977 space-opera hit, arguably the series' best-loved and most critically acclaimed installment.

While "Empire Strikes Back" is certainly the film for which Kershner is most fondly remembered, he's also known for helming 1983's unauthorized James Bond film "Never Say Never Again" — which saw Sean Connery return to the role of 007 — and 1990's "Robocop II."

Kershner did a bit of acting in his day as well. He made his big-screen debut in Martin Scorsese's "The Last Temptation of Christ" in 1988, and also appeared as a filmmaker in the 1994 Steven Seagal vehicle "On Deadly Ground."

At the time of his death, Kershner was still actively working in photography. The Force was strong with this one.

~ Odd Empire was on Spike last night and I was watching it for the first time in a very long time and loving every second of it. Also, Never Say Never Again was on Thanksgiving on either USA or one of those channels. Weird coincidences.

Yeah I was watching Empire last night as well. Thought it was kind of a strange time for it to be on. Coincidence, or did they air it after his death?

RIP Irvin - Empire is my favorite of the original trilogy.

Coincidence. Spike TV was airing both trilogies over the weekend.

I'd also give props to Lawrence Kasdan & Leigh Brackett for writing the screenplay off of George's story.

Edit: I keep thinking about this hilarious exchange in Intolerable Cruelty when I heard of this poor man's death....

Miles Massey: All right, so much for the ice-breakers. What are you after, Freddy?

[takes a drink of water]

Freddy Bender: My client is prepared to settle for 50 percent of the marital assets.

[Miles spits out some water]

Miles Massey: Why only 50, Freddy? Why not a hundred? While we're dreaming, why not 150? Are you familiar with "Kershner"?

Freddy Bender: "Kershner" does not apply.

Miles Massey: Bring this to trial, we'll see if "Kershner" applies.

Rex: What's "Kershner"?

Miles Massey: Please, let me handle this.

Freddy Bender: "Kershner" was in Kentucky.

Miles Massey: "Kershner" was in Kentucky?

Freddy Bender: "Kershner" was in Kentucky.

Miles Massey: All right, Freddy, forget "Kershner". What's your bottom line?

Freddy Bender: Primary residence, 30 percent of remaining assets.

Miles Massey: What, are you nuts? Have you forgotten "Kershner"?