Bluegrass, Newgrass, Spacegrass

I would say if you follow Tony's career you can't go too wrong. His work with Grisman is good, although not all of it bluegrass, it is of course "Dawg Music" which is fun, although I am sort of done with that myself.

However if you want to go back aways and get into the original music, the early sides by Bill Monroe (even the pre-bluegrass sides with his brother) are all very good, as are the early Stanley Brothers. Lots of great old bluegrass out there from the late 40s and early 50s.

LouieB

cool. thanks for the recommendations. as for dawg music, well, sometimes it's annoying and sometimes it's just what i want to hear :dancing

Actually there is a pretty good album of Grisman playing with Stephane Grappelli on Flying Fish. Not hard to find on vinyl I don't think. I used to play the Dawg Music LPs all the time. They are excellent, but not something I am that interested in anymore. (Did we mention "Old and In the Way" the one off Garcia thing with Vassar and Grisman??)

I think we have tapped out everyone's interest in bluegrassy type stuff. (Just as my daughter is playing some on her radio show as I write this, which she followed up with after something from Wilco the Book. Plugging The Devil's Radio on wdbx.com Thursday at 10PM)

LouieB

Actually there is a pretty good album of Grisman playing with Stephane Grappelli on Flying Fish. Not hard to find on vinyl I don't think. I used to play the Dawg Music LPs all the time. They are excellent, but not something I am that interested in anymore. (Did we mention "Old and In the Way" the one off Garcia thing with Vassar and Grisman??)

I think we have tapped out everyone's interest in bluegrassy type stuff. (Just as my daughter is playing some on her radio show as I write this, which she followed up with after something from Wilco the Book. Plugging The Devil's Radio on wdbx.com Thursday at 10PM)

LouieB

oh yeah, old and in the way is fun stuff. peter rowan's got some interesting solo stuff. not as much bluegrass as folky. i love that old and in the way record. haven't heard the other ones they released several years ago. fyi, your daughter's radio show sounds amazing!

oh yeah, old and in the way is fun stuff. peter rowan's got some interesting solo stuff. not as much bluegrass as folky. i love that old and in the way record. haven't heard the other ones they released several years ago. fyi, your daughter's radio show sounds amazing!

I was given the original on vinyl. I am not sure if it ever came out on CD, although some of the follow-up material did. There are just tons of associated material like this on Flying Fish records that came out in the 70s and 80s and can still be found for cheap on LP. No one talks about Flying Fish anymore. Also lots of great associated material on Rounder records as well. The two Monroe Brothers CDs are particuarly good, pre-bluegrass era material that was reissued on Rounder a few years back. Both these labels were major contributers to the indie/folk/country/bluegrass scenes. Rounder is still going, but Flying Fish has certainly fallen by the wayside. I had forgotten (until I just googled them) that Bruce Kaplan passed away nearly 20 years ago. Yikes I am getting old. Rounder is still going strong thanks to Allison Krause and some other big name artists. Actually I had not checked out their artists until just now. They should be included in the list of re-issue labels if only for the Alan Lomax material and others. Great stuff. I had forgotten about them.

My daughter has great taste and my reords.... :ninja :lol Last night she played a particularly fun mix.

LouieB