Letters to Santa

So, I've been thinking about how amazing it would be to go to one of the Letters to Santa shows. I know it costs a lot, but I'm sure I could swing it with some savings. Buuuuut I live in Australia, so what I'm wondering is, how does the auction work? Do you have to get 30 people together (which would be a struggle from here), or can you jump in with others? I guess I'm wondering whether its possible for anyone that doesn't live in or near Chicago to participate, unless they're willing to travel a a long way and hope.

There's a lot of people who fly into Chicago each year from all over the US & Canada to be part of a living room show group. But you from Australia will certainly top them all for distance travelled! And yes it's possible for anyone to be in a group if they want to.

Probably the best way to get into a group is from a friend-referral. Do you know anybody that is already in a regular group? If so, contact them.

There are usually the same 3 groups that win -- and we're all different in configuration and openings for newbies.

1. Hotel SnS group, usually the same 30 great friends return by tradition. It's a beautiful thing. If you know or have met any of these folks along the way, contact them. Maybe they have room for some new people. ?

2. The Wilco Ensemble group. Probably you would need to be a Chicago resident as this is part of the Old Town School of Folk Music/Wilco Ensemble, and I'm not sure how you could roll into town and be part of it for one day only.

3. Wendy & Edie group (I don't know what we call ourselves! haha!) I think it's a pretty safe statement that our group has had more opportunities for newbies over the years. Not every single person in our group of 30 returns each year. Two years ago we had 17 newbies. Last year we had 9 or something like that. We haven't had our show yet this year, and so I don't know how many people will be returning for the next year's auction (they get first dibs to return!).

But to be honest, really, if you are willing to fly to the US AND participate in a LR show group, I hope somebody could give you a chance to join a group. That's a real fan commitment to Wilco/Jeff!

I do have a list of people that didn't get in this past auction, it's pretty short right now, no guarantees, but anyone is free to send me a PM if you don't have any other inroads to groups as noted above. :cheers

Unfortunatly I don't really know many non-local Wilco fans. Maybe I'll aim to make it in 2012 and hopefully by that stage I'll have found an opening somewhere.

Thanks for your answer, its a long way away but I feel really excited about it already.