Advice for a visit to Chicago

Hi All,

I'll be in Chicago for a few days with my family in July. I need to find a place for the four of us to stay. Downtown is looking a tad too expensive.

For a trip to DC once we had great luck staying in Bethesda at a hotel that was literally on top of the Metro, making it easy to leave the car and take the train into the city. I'd like to duplicate that experience in Chicago but I don't know eneough about the CTA and the areas surrounding the various stations and what areas might be a candidate for this strategy. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

We get a lot of questions about Chicago from out-of-towners, so we started (and pinned) this thread about Chicago that is so packed full of info, it may take you some time to review. Luckily, you have plenty of time to skim through it to find any pertinent commentary on hotels. But you'll learn a whole lot more, too, which will make your 4 days in Chicago that much more fantastic. Enjoy!

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/35877-going-to-chicagowhat-to-do-see-stay-etc/

it is best to ask questions in the established thread so that new answers can be added and so that you can give feedback on those suggestions. Those of us who live here don't stay in hotels or B&Bs, os hearing about your experiences are helpful to others on a long term basis. Also folks do find new tourist type stuff to do over time. We don't necessarily take all the tours or go to all the tourist spots so we don't know how they look to out of towners. edit-see the other thread for ideas, which others need to chime in on.

Thanks.

LouieB