If the crowd last night was any indication, there are few folks interested in this one off project with John Stirrat on bass, Nick Termulous on guitar and vocals, Rick Rizzo on guitar and vocals, Bun E Carlos on drums and Mark Greenberg on keyboards. This is mostly a covers band which may never play again, but they do have a 10 inch EP coming out in a couple weeks which was available at the show. It was a fun, if under attended show last night at the Double Door. Jon Langford and Skull Orchard opened with a great and funny set.

So if you obsessive about Wilco side projects I am sure you can track down this EP in a few weeks.

LouieB

Wow, I'm surprised at the lack of crowd. But thanks for the report, Lou! Should've asked you pick me up one of the 10-inches, but hopefully Laurie's or somewhere will get a couple. What covers did John sing on?

Yeah LouieB, where's the setlist??? :lol.

I forgot about this show, when it was first announced, I thought about going than forgot all about it.

Also on a side note,regarding Bun E Carlos, didn't he do a quick drum solo during a Wilco Riviera show in the late 90's?

I seem to remember he did.

I am really surprised that the Wilco community in Chicago doesn't support all the side projects. One of my favorite shows of 2010 in Chicago was The Autumn Defense in November at Lincoln Hall. This year, I'd say the combination of John Langford and Candy Golde is one of the best Chicago shows I've seen. All the guys in Candy Golde seem to be really excited about playing together and getting to play all those great old garage rock covers. I also think "Troubles Coming Down" is as catchy and hooky as they come.

John sang lead on The Who's "Armenia City in the Sky" as he did at the Club DeVille show in Austin. I can't recall if he sang lead on any others. Rick and Nick are the primary singers of this band with John adding his usual spot-on harmonies.

Paul..no real need for me to get one of these for you. I suspect there will be lots of them floating around since they are officially released sometime in May (the 11th maybe) and frankly I doubt interest is going to be that high for them. By the time it is released this gig and the gigs at SXSW are going to be distant memories.

I enjoyed the show alot, but I did have mixed feelings about it. Clearly this is not an ongoing side project for any of these guys except maybe Nicholas Tremulous, who I find to be one of the most jive motherfuckers this side of Dr. John. While CPS English teachers Rick Rizzo comes in looking like a CPS English teachers (as does Mark Greenberg and I have no idea what really does, except play keyboards) and plays the shit out of the guitar and John Stirrat member of the world famous Wilco plays the shit ouf the bass and Bun E Carlos, world famous drummer of Cheap Trick plays the shit out of the drums, Nick Tremulous acts like the rock star he isn't. Nick's mini rap on how cool vinyl records are was both condescending and stupid, as was his get-up. Both Nan from Bloodshot and I agreed we have never liked his style, but that he was pretty good in this situation. The rest of the band was clearly just having a good time on their off hours from whatever day job they had (be they regular people or musicians) Nick was really going for broke in a situation that clearly didn't demand it.

While Chandler is surprised Wilco fans didn't support this, I was equally as surprised that there weren't more Cheap Trick and Eleventh Dream Day fans (both of which could easily help fill the cavernous Double Door), but then again Eleventh Dream Day sort of filled Lincoln Hall one week earlier and totally satisfied their fans. It is always nice to see a Wilco member do something in another venue, but John did very little other than play bass and sing some back up. In some ways it felt like we were attending a private party for the musicians and their friends.

Two other things, Jon Langford benefited from the unusually good sound mixing at the Double Door. I have seen him hundreds of times and because he is not a big star, he sometimes gets slack work from the sound people at clubs. And secondly, when did Paul Simon get hip again?? I thought the cover of "Boy in the Bubble" (which is on the EP I have not listened to yet) was really good. Dragging out the Animals, Love, and a bunch of other 60s bands is fun enough but not all that inspired. (Too Much Monkey Business hit the spot, but then again Chuck Berry gets regular play too) We needed Paul there to get down the set list. I was msotly just boogieing (as much as I boogie anyway.)

So while I enjoyed this evening alot for many reasons: I like Jon Langford, I like the guys in Candy Golde, the crowd was sparse and so no major audiance problem; it all felt like a very low stakes gig. Clearly the fans of the groups these guys belong to felt the same way.

(I could have done without the folks taping the show. I hope they got the footage they needed, because they sure didn't need the tripod they never used that nearly killed a few folks and the guy doing the filming in front of me wasn't holding a shot for more than about five seconds. Weird...!!!)

LouieB