Chicago Rock Tour

I received an email this morning from the Chicago Reader offering discounted tickets to the Chicago Rock Tour. Wilco sections leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering they are still using the loft as opposed to the other locations which aren't active...

I went to the website and they are also using a cartoon image of Jeff Tweedy (of Wilco) on the site. Is it possible Wilco approves of this?

Neighborhood: Lakeview and other locations

$16 Real Deal cost for $32 valued Chicago Rock Tour

The Reader Real Deal is offering three different tour dates for the Chicago Music Tours over this weekend.

* The Fri 7/22 @ 10am deal is for the Fri 7/29 tour.

* The Sat 7/23 @ 10am deal is for the Sat 7/30 tour.

* The Sun 7/24 @ 10am deal is for the Sun 7/31 tour.

Please check the date of the tour before you buy the deal, as date changes cannot be made after purchase.

Chess Records has landmark status. The Willie Dixon Foundation has given Chicago blues a historical home. What does Chicago punk, post-punk, industrial, and alternative rock have? Locations, locations, locations. And stories from one side of Chicago to the next. Some locations like Schubas and Metro are still bringing bands and audiences together for the music history of now. Others like Dreamerz, Lounge Ax, and Quiet Knight-turned-Tuts-turned-Avalon have relented to such things as dental offices, cosmetic surgery centers, and hair salons. Time marches on.

Fortunately, Chicago Rocks: 1980-2002 tour invites you to get on the little black bus and have Phil Rockrohr lead you through the byways of Chicago rock history. This tour will give you a sense of the music scene and why Billboard magazine called Chicago “the new capital of the cutting edge” and Spin dubbed us the “Indie City.”

Some of the tour destinations and topics include:

• Wax Trax Records, Ministry, and Al Jourgensen’s many side projects

• Smashing Pumpkins, their history, and Billy Corgan’s Wrigleyville house

• The Wilco “loft”, Jay Bennett v. Jeff Tweedy, and the saga of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

• Liz Phair and Guyville hangouts of Wicker Park

• Big Black & Steve Albini, Naked Raygun, The Effigies and Chicago’s groundbreaking punk scene

Tour guide Phil Rockrohr is a writer, teacher, and musician. He worked as reporter and editor at the Southtown-Star for 15 years and has contributed music and entertainment stories to such publications as the Chicago Reader, Time Out Chicago, Illinois Entertainer, and the Daily Herald. He’s played in ten local bands. Perhaps most importantly, as a tour guide, he harbors an infectious enthusiasm and passion for all things rock.

Bring the spouse you met in the clubs, bring your offspring to show that you actually were there, or bring your parents to fess up on how you were spending your misspent youthful evenings. Bar stops during the tour will provide the opportunity for beverages and sharing of your own Chicago music soap operas and debaucheries.

If you’re heading to Lollapalooza, this deal makes a worthy historical prelude.

•Verboten, when they were young, recorded at Cubby Bear, January, 1982

•Naked Ray Gun, Cabaret Metro, Lakeview, early ’80s

•Smashing Pumpkins (with infamous drum machine), Avalon, Lakeview, October 10, 1988

•Nirvana, Club Dreamerz, Wicker Park, July 8, 1989

•Urge Overkill, Cabaret Metro, June 10, 1993

I suspect this guy is struggling to get customers. People are curious about this stuff and so he is out to make a buck.

Frankly going by the Wilco loft isn't that big a deal. Most Chicagoans know where it is anyway. For better or worse Jeff Tweedy is a Chicago celeb. (The Wilco loft has more of an identifier on it than CHIRP radio which no one cares where it is.)

(Hell I have run a few folks by the loft for free....and the world didn't stop!!)

Also my understanding is that this tour does go places that are active, certainly by bars and clubs that are still in use.

LouieB

I just find it dopey that they bill it as: "The Wilco “loft”, Jay Bennett v. Jeff Tweedy, and the saga of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".

I just noticed that the tour is focusing on the years between 1980-2002, so it makes sense.

Edited by calvino