Pitchfork review - iTunes session

A few things...on Pitchfork- some writers better than others...and I've read some stuff there, but overall it seems like a hipster's ghetto.

As far as their ratings for Wilco's catalog. It's all subjective, lets get that out of the way, but to me they are beyond laughable.

Since Wilco's founding in the early 90's, I'd say there are scant few bands whose catalog from this time is even near to in their class...for me that'd be primarily Yo La Tengo, & The Flaming Lips...

For the record the two albums from this era that I can say, without hesitation that I'd put up with any of my favorite Wilco albums would be Paul Simon's "So Beautiful Or So What" & "Surprise".

I'll also note that, from this particular time, I prefer Paul McCartney's later era renaissance to Bob Dylan's (fine stuff but overrated for me & I'm a Dylanista of sorts), so he gets some high marks too (and while I'm still more of a Lennon & Harrison guy, as years go by, that'd be by less & less)...oh yeah, and a couple high water marks for The Mekons ('94 & '00) during a time when their career has generally fallen from the best of the best to merely very good albums with great moments (live they are still up there with the greatest out there when Tom is on board, and not that far off from that without him, but somewhat so...)

I'll go even further actually, to say that to me Wilco's catalog ranks up there with any American artist, or other artist period, that I loved with all my heart, or that anyone would care to name. Their run has been without any less than stellar albums in my book. They are pitching a no-hitter, or on a batting streak of DiMaggio like proportions. There are varying degrees of greatness in their catalog and that's about it. Not unlike The Beatles, or The Velvet Underground...or you fill in the blank & I'll answer in the affirmative to Wilco's work standing tall next to it. I

'm not trying to split hairs in some pissing match of better or worse bands of all-time. I'm just saying at a certain Olympian level, it's down to as great as there has been, and no more need be said. On some days it's this artist, or album, and on other days others, but only a few hit those rarefied heights & Wilco are one of those rare few who have & what's at least as exciting is that they still do. I don't know how long they can continue it, but "The Whole Love" is my personal favorite & that says something strong about all of this indeed...oh & they are at least as great, if not possibly the very greatest live band in the world at this particular time.

To throw out the kind of numbers Pitchfork did would be the equivalent of applying the same type of ratings to Neil Young's works in the 70's, or Dylan's in the 60's...shall I go on...just beyond laughable is all.

I think that about does it. And of course, as always, your mileage may vary...

• 2 weeks later...