Johnny Marr to release The Messenger, solo album

"Johnny has recorded ‘The Messenger’ a solo album which is scheduled for release on 25th February 2013 on Warner Bros. The album was recorded in Manchester and Berlin and mastered at Abbey Road. Johnny has contributed writing, vocals, guitar and production on the album, songs titles include, I Want The Heartbeat, The Right Thing Right, Upstart, Word Starts Attack & European Me".

"Johnny will be touring the UK in March 2013 and playing festivals worldwide".

http://www.johnny-ma...ger’-solo-album

20121026-185428-2-1024x683.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thats exciting. Johnny's post-Smiths work is far more interesting than Moz's...

Morrissey can be faulted in some ways, but he has consistantly put out solo albums.  Not sure what you are talking about here  What work?

LouieB

Morrissey can be faulted in some ways, but he has consistantly put out solo albums. Not sure what you are talking about here What work?

LouieB

His guitar work on the Pet Shop Boys' songs..even his brief spell being in the Pretenders. Don't get me wrong, I love Morrissey and enjoy his solo albums but the sounds and projects Marr pursued and discovered post -Smiths is more interesting to me.

His guitar work on the Pet Shop Boys' songs..even his brief spell being in the Pretenders. Don't get me wrong, I love Morrissey and enjoy his solo albums but the sounds and projects Marr pursued and discovered post -Smiths is more interesting to me.

OH I thought you would talk about his stint with The The or whatever, or that other group he worked with which was forgettable I guess..  None of either of their work is as interesting as The Smiths, but at least Morrissey has continued writing songs and performing on a regular basis, to the great delight of his fan base. 

LouieB

OH I thought you would talk about his stint with The The or whatever, or that other group he worked with which was forgettable I guess..  None of either of their work is as interesting as The Smiths, but at least Morrissey has continued writing songs and performing on a regular basis, to the great delight of his fan base. 

LouieB

Agreed. Big Smiths fan here.

LouieB

I would highly recommend "ignore the ignorant' by the Cribs.  An overlooked gem of an album.

I would highly recommend "ignore the ignorant' by the Cribs.  An overlooked gem of an album.

Despite the mixed reviews on Amazon and because of the ridiculously low price ($1.50) I will give this a listen.  Ordered it up just now. 

LouieB

Despite the mixed reviews on Amazon and because of the ridiculously low price ($1.50) I will give this a listen.  Ordered it up just now. 

LouieB

Well I sure hope you like it. The pressure is on not to have wasted your $1.50.

Well I sure hope you like it. The pressure is on not to have wasted your $1.50.

It was well worth the investment. Good sounding record.  Clearly some significant influence from Johnny Marr. I have to say,as with most albums these days, the lyrics are the weakest point, but it does sound great and there are some really nice tunes.

LouieB

It was well worth the investment. Good sounding record.  Clearly some significant influence from Johnny Marr. I have to say,as with most albums these days, the lyrics are the weakest point, but it does sound great and there are some really nice tunes.

LouieB

Yay!  Good to hear. Love the intro to We share the same skies which has to be all Marr.

The new MOJO magazine CD has a song from the new Marr solo album.  It does have that classic Smiths sound, you can very easily picture Morrissey singing over it.  Has that very obvious British Stone Roses type sound.  Sounds good and makes me interested to hear the rest. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was all set to buy Bob Mould tix this morning and just found out Marr is playing the same damn night.  I'm thinking Marr is probably the more rare occurrence so I am leaning towards that one.

Tour dates:

March 2013 UK

10th – Oxford, O2 Academy

11th – Norwich, Waterfront

12th – Cambridge, Junction

14th – Brighton, Concorde

15th – London, O2 Shepherds Bush Empire

16th – Birmingham, HMV Institute

18th – Sheffield, Leadmill

19th – Glasgow, ABC

20th – Liverpool O2, Academy

22nd – Manchester, HMV Ritz (SOLD OUT)

23rd – Manchester, HMV Ritz

26th – Belfast, The Limelight

27th – Dublin, Academy Dublin

April – USA & Canada

11th – Las Vegas NV, The Cosmopolitan – The Pool W/ New Order

12th – Indio CA, Coachella  – Empire Polo Fields

13th – San Francisco CA, Fillmore

15th – Seattle WA, Neumos

16th – Portland OR, Aladdin Theater

18th – Santa Barbara CA, County Bowl W/ New Order

19th – Indio CA, Coachella  – Empire Polo Fields

21st – Denver CO, Bluebird

22nd – Omaha NE, The waiting Room

23rd – Minneapolis MN, Varsity Theater

25th – Chicargo IL, Metro

26th – Detroit MI, Magic Stick

27th – Toronto ON Canada, Phoenix

29th – Washington DC, 9.30 Club

30th – Philadelphia PA, Trocadero

May 2013  – USA

2nd – New York NY, Irving Plaza

3rd – Brooklyn NY, Music Hall Of Williamsburg

4th – Boston MA, Paradise Rock Club

• 2 weeks later...

There is some great stuff on this album and as you would expect, amazing guitar.  New town velocity is probably the best song I have heard all year.  Just some great melodies throughout.  Suffers a little bit from Johnny's vocals but they are not bad really.

• 1 month later...
Giving this a first listen now and it's pretty cool. Sounds a lot like The Smiths -- even his voice sounds a little like Moz at times. Definitely rings of the mid/late-80s, but in a very good way.

Marr's guitar playing really demands close listening, because it's so damn prolific, without being obviously showy.

Probably not my favorite of the year (that is still the Shugo Tokumaru album), but it is another winner for 2013.