RIP Dave Brubeck

My father and I had a conversation the other day that some day, all of the rock legends will be gone.  How strange will that be when there is no Eric Clapton, or no Paul McCartney, or no Keith Richards. 

Well that day is practically here for Jazz, with only a few of the original jazz legends still living.  Dave Brubeck was certainly one of those.  RIP Dave. 

My father and I had a conversation the other day that some day, all of the rock legends will be gone.  How strange will that be when there is no Eric Clapton, or no Paul McCartney, or no Keith Richards. 

Well that day is practically here for Jazz, with only a few of the original jazz legends still living.  Dave Brubeck was certainly one of those.  RIP Dave. 

I was talking to my father last night about this and his voice was breaking through the entire conversation.  Retelling the night he saw Brubeck for the first time at Basin Street East, feeling like a punk kid for wearing kakis and a polo shirt while all the cats around him were dressed in suits (realizing he was sitting next to Otto Preminger) was a sad nostalgia trip.  They have tix for a Brubeck tribute tonight in Waterbury CT; there was supposed to be a meet and greet afterward.  Getz is gone, Mulligan is dead, now Brubeck.  This is trully the end of an era.  I had to go out and replace my copy of Time Out today; tomorrow I've got to hunt down a copy of Jazz Goes to College.

I've got to hunt down a copy of Jazz Goes to College.

I was lucky recently to get a 10 inch copy of this LP on red vinyl very recently, which was rather beat up and priced to go.  But despite the rather poor look of the record, it actually played really nicely and sounded great despite the lo-fi recording from the era. 

There are always lots of vinyl copies of Time Out floating around.  Columbia made a ton of dough off of it as did Brubeck himself.

LouieB