Sound City documentary--Don't miss it!

On Friday I saw the new documentary Sound City, and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in sound recording. I think you can enjoy the film on several levels. If you know something about the subject, you'll probably geek out at the more technical aspects of analog vs. digital recording. But even for a neophyte like me, the concepts were explained clearly enough that I understood a lot more about the recording process than I did going in. And really, the film is a big love letter to the Neve soundboard, and now I understand why it's such a big deal that Wilco has one of these beauties in their arsenal. Wow!

Among the other pleasures of the movie are the interview segments with Neil Young and some insightful thoughts about the creative uses of digital technology by Trent Reznor. In fact, the ONLY thing I didn't like about this doc was Dave Grohl, who was even more insufferably full of himself than I thought. However, he did direct the thing, so there's that.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a YouTube-only thing? Because I can't find it on Netflix. 

Or, at least YT-only for now?

It's in limited release now. I saw it at a local theater that specializes in independent and foreign films, but it just played for three showings over a weekend. Obviously, it's not going to have broad mainstream appeal, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it. It premiered at this year's Sundance, I think. 

I assume it will be on DVD before long.