The Rolling Stones secret club show L.A. 4-27-13

Last night the Stones played a secret club show for about 350. Tickets were $20.

Echoplex, Los Angeles, CA, USA

You Got Me Rocking

Respectable

She's So Cold

Live With Me

Street Fighting Man

That's How Strong My Love Is

Little Queenie

Just My Imagination

Miss You

Love In Vain (with Mick Taylor)

Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)

Start Me Up

Brown Sugar

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Pretty cool stuff.

Damn. That would have been amazing. It's experiences like this that ruin you for big stadium shows where you watch the whole thing on a screen.

Gotta brag a little here: I once got to see Prince in a similar situation in 2000 or 2001. I was living in Boston, and they did some kind of radio call-in thing (can't remember the details) to get to see Prince in a tiny club about 30 minutes away--a surprise pop-up show for that night. He had the full band and backup dancers but no other elaborate staging. He was starting a major tour in the next week or so. There couldn't have been more than 300-400 people packed into this sweaty little club. Unforgettable night. 

Damn. That would have been amazing. It's experiences like this that ruin you for big stadium shows where you watch the whole thing on a screen.

Gotta brag a little here: I once got to see Prince in a similar situation in 2000 or 2001. I was living in Boston, and they did some kind of radio call-in thing (can't remember the details) to get to see Prince in a tiny club about 30 minutes away--a surprise pop-up show for that night. He had the full band and backup dancers but no other elaborate staging. He was starting a major tour in the next week or so. There couldn't have been more than 300-400 people packed into this sweaty little club. Unforgettable night. 

How much lead guitar did Prince show off? I've always wondered if in his early club-rising-to-fame days, he played a lot more wicked lead, until he got into the "entertainment" industry...i'm just curious if when he played that show you went to in a club, he rechanneled his guitar-god side and left his sex-god side at home! I'd love to see that man just shred up close in a venue like that.

I remember being blown away by the whole show, and Prince was very much front and center on everything. It was an incredibly crowded stage, though. With the full band plus two gyrating singer-dancers, Prince was practically tripping over himself. Seemed to me that the guitar god and sex god were pretty well integrated--the man has definitely got a lot of showmanship mixed in with those chops! 

Damned if I remember. I do remember that it was a short drive away from Boston--maybe 30-60 minutes?--and we were lined up around the block to get in. And I know it was sometime in 2000 or 2001, because I only lived in the Boston area for those years. When I won the tickets I jumped up from my desk, told my boss I had a personal emergency and took off like a bat out of hell. 

I wonder why that job didn't last. . . .