Breeders, Deerhunter 5/15/2013 Variety Playhouse, Atlanta

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deerhunter-roll-out-mellow-monomania-tunes-in-atlanta-20130516

The above link is pretty spot on, with regard to Deerhunter's set.  I had seen them before, maybe ten or twelve years ago, back when they were basically noise terrorists.   I was not a fan of them back then, but I could tell they were striving for something greater.  I was very happy to see that they have become a band with real songs, great melodies and capable musicians.  It was very satisfying to see that.

I was a little nervous about the Breeders set, after seeing their lazy, too slow performance of Cannonball on Jimmy Fallon a few days before.  At the start of their set it was impossible to hear the vocals.  Major bummer since Deerhunter's sound was perfect.  The soundman got it together by the thrid song, though.  They played Last Splash as their main set, in order, followed by an encore of tunes from Pod, Safari and a cover of GBV's Shocker in Gloomtown.  Limehouse, Don't Call Home, Hapiness is a Warm Gun, Oh, Safari, and maybe one other song.

The Breeders are one of my favorite bands, and I had seen this lineup several times in the '90s (and the mroe recent lineup once or twice).  I needn't have been nervous.  They sounded just as mighty at this concert as they did at any of the '90s shows I attended.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/deerhunter-roll-out-mellow-monomania-tunes-in-atlanta-20130516

The above link is pretty spot on, with regard to Deerhunter's set.  I had seen them before, maybe ten or twelve years ago, back when they were basically noise terrorists.   I was not a fan of them back then, but I could tell they were striving for something greater.  I was very happy to see that they have become a band with real songs, great melodies and capable musicians.  It was very satisfying to see that.

This is nice to hear. I saw Deerhunter back in 2005 (opening for Liars) and they were comically bad. I somehow managed to stay in the room for their whole set but it wasn't because of the music. I think someone was mimicing death on stage, or so it sounded. I was very surprised when I heard Halcyon Digest for the first time, which remains my favorite record from 2010. They are playing at FTF fest in LA this summer and I had some concern. Your report puts to rest all concerns.

• 3 weeks later...

Love Monomania.. Although many of the songs are so distorted, staticy, that they're hard to listen to.  Deerhunter is one of those bands that you love but you can't really put your finger on why.. They're weird, noisy, even corny at times, but just somehow awesome..